Here we go again! 🤦‍♀️

NewChickenmama06

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2019
Western Ma
Hello all,

I don't know if any of you remember, but last year around late March early April I posted a question about my now handsome roo. He was running with his head between his legs backwards. He head was twisting almost in a seizure looking way. This was what prompted me to check out backyard chickens for help.

Well, I have to say, all of you must take credit for his amazing recovery because without your advice, he would not be here today.

So, we successfully hatched 10 healthy chicks on April 4th and 5th. These chicks were his offspring. Fast forward to a few days ago and boom, one of the chicks, a Australorp is displaying the same exact symptoms. She is running with her head between her legs backwards. But as hard as it is to see, I am not worried because this time I know what it is and what to do.
Why? Because of all of you, my flock family. You guys helped with my roo and because of that advice, I am confident that this little girl will recover too. Thank you all so much for all your help and support over the last year. You are an amazing group of people:love:D

I will keep you posted on my little Cinnamon and how she is doing in the days to come.

Thanks again!!

Thanks, I was putting nutri-drench in their water and giving them a high quality crumble by Blue Seal. I started giving nutri-drench to her with a dropper, just like I did for him.
She is in fact the roo's chick who was effected.

Hello all,

I don't know if any of you remember, but last year around late March early April I posted a question about my now handsome roo. He was running with his head between his legs backwards. He head was twisting almost in a seizure looking way. This was what prompted me to check out backyard chickens for help.

Well, I have to say, all of you must take credit for his amazing recovery because without your advice, he would not be here today.

So, we successfully hatched 10 healthy chicks on April 4th and 5th. These chicks were his offspring. Fast forward to a few days ago and boom, one of the chicks, a Australorp is displaying the same exact symptoms. She is running with her head between her legs backwards. But as hard as it is to see, I am not worried because this time I know what it is and what to do.
Why? Because of all of you, my flock family. You guys helped with my roo and because of that advice, I am confident that this little girl will recover too. Thank you all so much for all your help and support over the last year. You are an amazing group of people:love:D

I will keep you posted on my little Cinnamon and how she is doing in the days to come.

Thanks again!!
Ok, my daughter just noticed an air filled bubble under her skin above her wing now:(

If it's air filled then it's probably a ruptured air sac. Could have happened if she ran into something. Sometimes they will resolve on their own. If it continues to get bigger, or she seems to have trouble breathing, then you may need to let the air out. Use a sterile sewing needle, disinfect the area, and prick just through the skin to release the air. Apply a bit of antibiotic ointment to the spot you pricked. Releasing the pressure will allow the tear in the sac to close. Again, sometimes you don't need to do anything and it will resolve.
More info:
https://www.birdtrader.co.uk/emergency-care-for-birds-air-sac-rupture/
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/air-sac-rupture

If it's air filled then it's probably a ruptured air sac. Could have happened if she ran into something. Sometimes they will resolve on their own. If it continues to get bigger, or she seems to have trouble breathing, then you may need to let the air out. Use a sterile sewing needle, disinfect the area, and prick just through the skin to release the air. Apply a bit of antibiotic ointment to the spot you pricked. Releasing the pressure will allow the tear in the sac to close. Again, sometimes you don't need to do anything and it will resolve.
More info:
https://www.birdtrader.co.uk/emergency-care-for-birds-air-sac-rupture/
https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/air-sac-rupture
Thank you, this poor little girl

Back
Top Bottom