Heritage Large Fowl - Phase II

I'm told there will be 200 plus NN eggs selected to hatch and if that's reasonable successful, it will be the only hatching my son has planned for this spring. His intention is to have them hatch within a few days of the 'ordered' chicks' arrival so they can easily be kept in the fenced yearling area together after they come out of the brooders.

This does create a small problem because there's not enough housing for 250 plus yearlings. I guess another portable building will have to be insulated and fitted out to accommodate the prospective new arrivals.

Work is going smoothly with the SOP building and fencing. I quickly proved too much for just two of us so a small contractor and team was brought in to get it done right.

Looks like I will end up having around 100 Catalanas to go with this year. There is enough that can identify early that I can get the numbers down pretty quick. They are not great shape so there is plenty to find fault with.

I am getting the NHs that I had back, and the next generation of about 50, so I will not have missed much. Thanks to a friend, and good person, I will have another shot at it. I will say again that we are an opinionated bunch, but a generous bunch. I am very grateful for what this person has done.

I got sick, and everything was getting away from me. I am still sick, but have adapted as well as could be. I guess you can say that it is a declaration that I expect some degree of improvement. Anyone that knows me, knows how much I like the NHs. The NHs and Delaware, have always been an interest of mine.

I want to see some pictures of birds growing out, and hearing what we are trying to do. I need to get back into the NHs and get a feel for what I need to do again. There is plenty to work on.
The Catalanas need a lot of work, but I really like these birds. I knew that I wanted to try them, but I did not realize how much I would like them.

Ron, my boys are helping me put together some large walk in mobile pens together. I can't decide if I am going to use them for grow outs or hens. I am starting to lean towards the Hens and grow the young out in the fixed housing that I have. They were to be for the grow outs, but I am prone to changing my mind. This condition has me trying to adapt. I was going one way, but I need to go another.

Matt, I will be looking to see some Leghorns. That is an attractive variety and breed when they are right. I love the Browns. Dark and Light. I have noticed that there are some good breeders that breed Leghorns.

Looks like I will end up having around 100 Catalanas to go with this year. There is enough that can identify early that I can get the numbers down pretty quick. They are not great shape so there is plenty to find fault with.

I am getting the NHs that I had back, and the next generation of about 50, so I will not have missed much. Thanks to a friend, and good person, I will have another shot at it. I will say again that we are an opinionated bunch, but a generous bunch. I am very grateful for what this person has done.

I got sick, and everything was getting away from me. I am still sick, but have adapted as well as could be. I guess you can say that it is a declaration that I expect some degree of improvement. Anyone that knows me, knows how much I like the NHs. The NHs and Delaware, have always been an interest of mine.

I want to see some pictures of birds growing out, and hearing what we are trying to do. I need to get back into the NHs and get a feel for what I need to do again. There is plenty to work on.
The Catalanas need a lot of work, but I really like these birds. I knew that I wanted to try them, but I did not realize how much I would like them.

Ron, my boys are helping me put together some large walk in mobile pens together. I can't decide if I am going to use them for grow outs or hens. I am starting to lean towards the Hens and grow the young out in the fixed housing that I have. They were to be for the grow outs, but I am prone to changing my mind. This condition has me trying to adapt. I was going one way, but I need to go another.

Matt, I will be looking to see some Leghorns. That is an attractive variety and breed when they are right. I love the Browns. Dark and Light. I have noticed that there are some good breeders that breed Leghorns.

Hopefully your health won't have too big of an impact. Looking forward to seeing some of those Catalanas growing out. You never know what breed is going to grab your interest, glad to hear you're enjoying the breed so much! New Hampshire's are definitely in need of more champions too, we have a guy out here that is doing some amazing work with them in Oregon.

There are some excellent breeders of Leghorns out there, most are not very internet compatible though, which is a shame. I do think it is a breed that appeals to more mature folks though, as a kid I kind of dismissed them because they were just kind of a chicken...now I really appreciate the smooth flowing lines and classic look. Hopefully will be adding other varieties here in the future, but started with something that is totally new to me in the solid color Buff and looking forward to the challenge.

So glad to hear you are getting your NH back. This is my first breeding season with them. Have about 80 chicks on the ground from one Cockeral and four Hens. Had another Cockeral to breed them too but discovered some feather stubs on his legs and some fluff between toes so don't think I will use him unless I get stuck. One more set due to hatch Wed. then I will be done with them until next season or maybe Fall so I have some youngsters in condition to show in the Spring.

Slowly hatching Kathyinmo's F'5's. Setting about 6 - 12 eggs per week and have 3 chicks so far on the ground hatched last Wed. Super excited about them. I will be crossing 4 pullets over 3 cockerals and hope to get at least 10 chicks from each pairing on the ground before I take a break till Fall, if it doesn't take me till then :)

Dont' know how many BCM I will end up hatching, have a pen with a Cock over his four daughters, (full siblings) and a Cockeral in with his Mom, Aunt and Grandma. Lots of other combos I could play with but I think they may take the backburner for this year.

Last but not least, I have a Blue Ameracauna pair that I hope to hatch about 20 chicks from. First 4 eggs due to hatch next week. They are strictly for fun and for the blue eggs for the egg customers.

PHEW!!!!!

If I had to buy hay, I wouldn't raise beef, except for the few people who order grass-fed beef on a yearly basis and our own consumption.

In fact, I'd not mess with them at all...except, it's wise to keep some good cows around...in case of 'emergencies'.

A couple of CAE-clear yearling Nubian does will be coming here in a couple of months. Never thought I'd see one on this property but they have advantages over the regular meat goats.

I could do very well with chicken, rabbit and 'la vinade de chevre' as meat protein.
thumbsup.gif

Had to google to see what la vinade de chevre is. ha

Back
Top Bottom