He's not a BBR-OEGB- What is he? A Millefleur Dutch Bantam?

4kidZ

Fluffy Butt Farmer
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
N. Central Florida-near Ocala
We got this pair from a guy that moved out of the country. He told us they were BB red birds. At the time, we had NO IDEA what BB meant. Somehow we finally figured out that she was for SURE a BBR OEGB hen, so we assumed he was too...and up until now, I always thought he was, UNTIL I googled to find that he is TOTALLY NOT an oegb- cuz he doesn't have the OEGB head. I am sure their are other reasons, but I don't know enough about the standard to figure it out.

I found a pic of a Millefleur Dutch Bantam, and found that the comb is eXACt! I will tell you that she lays daily, usually without fail. And fertility is NOT and issue between these two! I need to make room for my new wheatens and my cuckoos are now laying. BB (the little BBROEGB) is one of the sweetest most self-sufficient birds I have, and her boy-toy is Mr. Faithful, who would run in front of a bus for her. I kept them for that reason and the fact that we have a fresh medium sized egg from her just about every day. But now that the cuckoo marans are older, I have big brown eggs, and can't let BB & her boy out, as they get picked on.

So, really 2 things here: What breed is he? and is anyone in FL (N. Central) interested in the pair. She may be show quality?

Thank you!

~4kidZ

Last edited:
Quote:
Absolutely, and as you can see by the pic, he nearly NEVER leaves her side
love.gif

Quote:
Thank you...what does that mean? Something to do with his tall comb?

To be shown, gamebirds such as OEG & Moderns must have their comb & wattles cut off, aka dubbed.

Quote:
Thank you...what does that mean? Something to do with his tall comb?

To be shown, gamebirds such as OEG & Moderns must have their comb & wattles cut off, aka dubbed.

OMG! I had no idea. Wow---that sounds painful. Now, I'm just curious, if they are born w/ larger combs naturally, why is the standard for showing to be dubbed.
sad.png

Thanks so much, guys. Very informative...I searched ALL OVER on different search engines, and could not find an bbr-oegb that had a larger comb like his.

~4kidZ

He is definitely an Old English, but I think he is Wheaton, not BBR (Wheaton is pretty much the same, just slightly lighter in the males, the females are noticeably different). He has a lot of color in his breast which is a serious fault in the duckwing patterns. Old English have single combs, just like Milles, but the males are dubbed, meaning that the comb, wattles, and ear lobes are surgically removed. It's only necessary if you plan on showing him.

Quote:
When the APA and ABA Standards were written it was common practice to dub the males from pit breeds. The Standards simply adopted it as a requirement. I, personally, think a well dubbed bird looks gorgeous, very sleek and fierce. And if it's done correctly they feel little pain and forget about it as soon as you put them back on the ground. Plus, those large combs get frosbite easily, dubbing keeps their noggins safe from the cold.

Last edited:
Quote:
When the APA and ABA Standards were written it was common practice to dub the males from pit breeds. The Standards simply adopted it as a requirement. I, personally, think a well dubbed bird looks gorgeous, very sleek and fierce. And if it's done correctly they feel little pain and forget about it as soon as you put them back on the ground. Plus, those large combs get frosbite easily, dubbing keeps their noggins safe from the cold.

All very interesting.
Again, thanks so much for the help. Learn something new every day!

~4kidZ

Back
Top Bottom