HHA new chicks

Nov 7, 2021
Lyric's World
Well, I solved the incubate vs. buy chicks dilemma.

I watched the 360 incubator go from $180 something down to $150 something and back up to $180 something. I did not have the funds when it was $150 and I can not stomach buying it at $180 when only weeks ago it was less.

Per advice I received here I turned to Mt. Healthy Hatchery (which I had NEVER heard of). Apparently there is more than one hatchery in Ohio; who knew and that's my home. Anywho, without further ado . . . .

Come end of May - 10 black australorps and three barnevelders will join our flock. So, I guess just like last summer (when we began this journey); we won't expect eggs until late December.

Now the girls are giving us 17-19/eggs a day. Hubby thinks that will increase (our oldest gals hatched the end of last June) and we have a light brahma pullet and a couple dark ones who certainly have not began to lay. Perhaps they will at the time our upcoming gals lay; we'll see.

The barnies are pullets; the BA are straight run. So, I will be back on the "Is it a roo or not" roller coaster come August. :) In my mind, of the straight run, if I can get at least five pullets I will be happy - no complaints with five BA roos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom