Hi everyone, new member here

Cheekysweetheart

Chirping
Aug 21, 2023
North Carolina
We just got 5 baby Sapphire Gems on Friday and got 4 Easter Eggers on Sunday from tractor supply. (They'll be the first chickens we've ever owned so joined BYC to get in contact with more experienced owners) They were all in the same bin and we couldn't resist going back to get the Easter Eggers after looking up information about them.

We are loving how friendly 2 of our chicks are already and getting the other 7 used to us slowly. I love to read, do arts and crafts, and do puzzles. It's just me and my mom with the occasional visit from my siblings with their families. I have dogs and cats as well including a lab/border collie mix and a corgi who we hope get along with the chickens.

Random questions now: Does anyone know if cheek markings on their down will transfer to their feathers? The sweetest one of our Sapphires has little cheek marking with one being in the shape of a heart so I'm hoping it stays. Does anyone know where to buy river sand?

Attachments

• 20230819_171452.jpg
    20230819_171452.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230821_152945.jpg
    20230821_152945.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC.
Teach your dogs, starting yesterday, to leave the chickens alone.
Do not teach them dogs to be friends with the chickens...dogs eat chickens.
There are thousands of us that hard to learn the hard way. You have a head start....by learning from our mistakes.

They will look different than they do now when their feathers grow in.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Adorable babies! 💖 They will molt 6 or 7 times before growing in their adult feathers, unfortunately they will not retain any cute chick stripes, spots or shapes. They will still be cute adults though!

Make yourself at home here. If you have any further questions about them along the way, be sure to ask.

Welcome to our community!

oh dear arent they adorable!
so you got chicks on friday then went back for more on sunday
haha thats beautiful chicken math
My dog was a puppy when i first got ducklings so they grew up together and she spends time in their pen watching them for me a few days a week for an hour or so
:welcome :welcome:welcomeand has never harmed a duck or chicken in 7 years
shes a mountain cur
but like I said they grew up together
whatever you decide to do be vigilant
back in california in the 1980's I had a dog who killed one of my chickens :(

Back
Top Bottom