Hi, I am Scott

Bologna Xpress

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
My wife Shannon (whom is expecting in June) and I have been talking about chickens for years. We live on 5 1/2 ac. in wonderfull WV. Our place was once used for horses so we have a large 4 stall 30' x 40' barn to work with. We have about 1.5 ac fo old pasture and lawn the rest is woods. 1ac is going to be a food plot for deer this spring. I already have a basic coop idea utilizing part of my barn. I would like to free rrange the birds as much as possible I only have one concern. FEREL CATS, 4 to be exact. Please give me any and all recomendations.
As far as chickens go feel free to advise on a good choice for a beginer. We are mostly looking for layers. We were thinking of Old English or RIR OR Both. Dont want to many to start so reccomended numbers would be great also.

Thanks
Scott

welcome-byc.gif

There are a number of places here on BYC where you can start looking for information. One would be the Learning Center, where you can read about the basics of raising chickens.

Check out the Coop and Run Design and Construction area for tips on turning your stall space into a coop, and get advice about the feral cats from our members chatting in Predators and Pests.

This is a very friendly, welcoming, and helpful community, and I know you'll find the answers you're looking for.

Glad to have you here and see you around the forum!
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from TN. Congratulations on expecting. Old English seem to make it free ranging around here better than most. I know a few people that let thiers free range 24/7 without hardly ever loosing any to predators. RIRs are also a good choice. I dont have any complaints at all with mine.
smile.png

Welcome Scott, Lots of info on this site.
About the cats, that would be a problem but just the first one as I am sure there are other predators lurking nearby. If you are feeding the cats then it is up to the individual temperament of the cat if they will bother your chickens. A cat that just wants to play with them will also stress the chickens, my advise is to trap the cats and take them to the Humane Society.
Remember to always lock your chickens in for the night.

Back
Top Bottom