Hi is it possible to tell mixed breed and gender on these two

They have rose combs, and the front bird in the middle photos looks to be a rooster...so I think you have one pullet and one roo.

They are a lavender/blue coloring, which can happen from a lot of ways and a lot of different breeds. They appear to have dark legs...but I can't see well if they are clean legged? I think they are? So that eliminates a number of things.

How many toes? 4?

They also appear to be larger fowl vs. bantam.

My guess is they have Wyandotte in them, and Wyandottes come in a lot of different colors...but Wyandottes should have yellow legs. So, that means something else is in there too.

My thoughts
LofMc

Last edited:
HI Lady of McCamley the one that is in the center has very dark grey legs not sure what clean mean with three toes front and one toe back.. the lighter one has light grey legs with same toes.. and yes was told they were mixed just did not know what so thank you very much for your help .. I am new to raising chickens but have kept chickens for a number of years :)

Yes, cleaned legs means no leg feathering, which removes a lot of possibilities. So does 4 toes vs. 5 toes.

I don't think Hamburg. Too heavy a body style and wrong wing type. Hamburgs have a game type appearance with lighter body and wings that go below body line.

I think there is Wyandotte influence in the body shape and rose comb. The leg coloring came from something else.

Sometimes it is simply impossible to know for sure unless you did a genetic test, which for a chicken, would be rather expensive.

LofMc

Last edited:
Can't be Orpington/Ameraucana...as the OP's birds have rose combs.

Orpington have single combs, Ameraucana (true not just EE) have pea combs.

To express single comb, both rose and pea have to be absent.

To express pea, rose has to be absent.

So it would be impossible to get a rose comb from an Orpington/Ameraucana cross.

It could be Orpington/Wyandotte as the Wyandotte rose would be dominant over the Orpington single. Depending upon the full genetics of the rose comb, you could get rose comb and single comb birds.

However, that doesn't solve for the grey legs....but leg color is tricky. I've had a yellow leg Barnevelder over yellow leg Cal Grey produce black/grey leg mixes. I have seen grey legs follow blue coloring.

So the blue/lavender could be bringing the grey legs, but I'll let someone else with better leg genetics step in on that.

LofMc

Back
Top Bottom