Hi! New to Backyard Homestead & Community

BackyardBurtons

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2023
Hi there,
We’re newish to backyard chickens. We got our hens as chicks this past spring and now they are happily laying. We have two isa browns and two leghorns. Four provide more than enough eggs than our family of two (soon to be three!) can eat. We love being able to share the abundance with our family and neighbors.
It’s been fun getting to know our hens. While all 4 come running over when they see us, the browns want to be handled and given more affection than our leghorns.
We also attempted our first garden this summer and while we have much to learn, it also provided an abundance to share!
I joined this community after a friend told me about it because I have a concern with one of our hens, which I posted about in another thread. I can also see this community being supportive in my job as well! I work for a private nonprofit outdoor school (K-6 grade). We are completely outdoors all school year. We are fully accredited and teach traditional skills along side of VA standards. We teach kids how to safely make fires, whittle, sew, archery, bow drills, gardening, nature ID, and so much more, while including math, reading, writing and other skills you’d typically expect. I could talk about our school all day, but you can also check it out on social media: green adventure project!
Anyway, I’m looking forward to joining a community with similar interests and helpful advice!

Back
Top Bottom