Hidden, not moving bottom heavy hen - help!

zed07

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2020
Kent, England
I came up to the hen’s coop today and saw one of our active hens, Lisa, hidden in a corner, sitting down, very fluffed up, eyes closed.
She is almost two and a half years old and is a rescue hen.
I had noticed her vent being a little messy yesterday, and wondered if it was vent gleet - but now I’m panicking.
Two months ago, we lost one of our other hens after she collapsed and seemed to be having trouble breathing, we did everything we could and she seemed to be getting better, despite not being able to walk, but unfortunately passed away soon after. When she was better, we tried to reintroduce her to the rest of the group, but was constantly bullied and we feared that they would kill her - it was pretty brutal! Most abuse came from Lisa… If we corner her off the other chicken might harm her like before??
I’m worried that Lisa may be beginning to go through that same thing, so please help!!
We are in the UK, and lately the weather has been all over the place, we had a very hot week with 32 degrees Celsius on Friday, and lower temperatures on the weekend, even rain. Could this be a contributing factor?

I’m struggling to find any droppings that may be from her, she may be having trouble - from her vent it looks like vent gleet (as well as small, brown runny droppings). I don’t think she has been laying either, both our hens stopped for the winter however we have been getting one every few days!

Right now, she is sat with her head down, eyes closed, fluffed up, and tail down. Any attempt to move her results in wobblyness and seeming like she’s bottom heavy, as well as moving to a more private place away from the other hen. Her comb is a slight pale pink colour, with a little purply-pink area at the top.
Please help! What could her condition be, and how can we help her?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 6389DFA3-1A61-4C03-A0D0-D7F69024080B.jpeg
    6389DFA3-1A61-4C03-A0D0-D7F69024080B.jpeg
    777.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
It sounds like she has some sort of reproductive tract issue. Maybe salpingitis, EYP, cancer or a bad infection. I think it's just her time. If she were my hen, I'd help her cross the finish line as painlessly as possible. I'm sorry.

It sounds like she has some sort of reproductive tract issue. Maybe salpingitis, EYP, cancer or a bad infection. I think it's just her time. If she were my hen, I'd help her cross the finish line as painlessly as possible. I'm sorry.
Thank you so much for replying! I will look into what you said, we are trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the help.

Thank you so much for replying! I will look into what you said, we are trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Thanks for the help.
She looks like she's in very bad condition and miserable. I don't believe there is anything you can do for her to relieve her misery other than euthanasia.

Update!! She has flystrike. We bathed her to get rid of her messy vent, and discovered maggots - we’re doing every trick from google we can- have you got any tips?

Flystrike is deadly if not treated right away. Bathing the vent area in warm Epsom salts water a few times a day until all maggots are hatched and gone is the treatment. If she is too weak, you could try to flush the area with a turkey baster or syringe. Pick any maggots off with tweezers using a magnifier if needed. It may take 24 hours for all of them to hatch. Do you have some antiseptic such as chlorhexidene or weak povidone iodine to put on her vent for infection? Savlon and some other creams contain the chlorhexidene. Offer her sips of sugar water or electrolytes. I hope she makes it, but she looks very weak. Flies around the coop can cause flystrike in hot weather, ao I would check your other chickens for dirty vents. Here is a good article to read about flystrike:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/flystrike-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Back
Top Bottom