Hiding chickens from Hawks

lovesfarms

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 6, 2016
Dauphin county, pa
How do you hide your chickens from sky predators if the chickens free range? They are constantly ducking from shadows of birds flying over head. I see Hawks flying around every day, if they are on soil they blend in but not on grass.

Attachments

• IMG_20200726_231229.jpg
    IMG_20200726_231229.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 31
How do you hide your chickens from sky predators if the chickens free range? They are constantly ducking from shadows of birds flying over head. I see Hawks flying around every day, if they are on soil they blend in but not on grass.
give them things around the yard to run into like buckets, little hutch’s, pots,etc. blogs hate cds. people tie cds together and hang them from a tree limb and it scares them away but it is tacky. if you have a dog, keep him outside and let him intimidate the hawks .

give them things around the yard to run into like buckets, little hutch’s, pots,etc. blogs hate cds. people tie cds together and hang them from a tree limb and it scares them away but it is tacky. if you have a dog, keep him outside and let him intimidate the hawks .
hawks*

I lost one of my pullets last week to a hawk. Don't believe the "cd" theory. I had 10 of them hanging from trees in my yard and it didn't deter this hawk one bit. It's good to have things for them to hide in, but if the hawk is in a tree watching them, like in my case, it doesn't matter how many hiding places there are. It didn't even leave when my wife came out yelling at it. Unfortunately, I now only free range them when I'm outside. The only sure fire way is a covered run.

I lost one of my pullets last week to a hawk. Don't believe the "cd" theory. I had 10 of them hanging from trees in my yard and it didn't deter this hawk one bit. It's good to have things for them to hide in, but if the hawk is in a tree watching them, like in my case, it doesn't matter how many hiding places there are. It didn't even leave when my wife came out yelling at it. Unfortunately, I now only free range them when I'm outside. The only sure fire way is a covered run.

I'm so sorry to hear that! I wonder if it will come to the point that Hawks can be hunted. There are so many around and they are much stronger and have a great advantage over their prey since they are in the sky.

Back
Top Bottom