Hilarious Chicks........

I_Love_Chickens

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 1, 2007
Enid, Ok
So I never knew chickens could be so interesting. I figured i'd get some good fun out of them and all but they are so funny to watch. They peck at everything and when one of my ten fall asleep, the others start walking all over it. How they ever sleep is beyond me. And its hilarious when they are completely content they lay down under my heat lamp and snuggle down in their bedding on their side with their legs out like a human would sleep and sometimes they put their legs in the air. At first I was worried I had lost a couple but soon realized they were just content. Ha. Do full grown chickens do this? I can't imagine that. Its hilarious. ha. I can't wait till they grow up but at the same time I can because it means fixing up their nesting area and that means work. Ha. They are worth it though and its a great learning experience for me. I have fallen in love with these little chicks.

Oh, just you wait until you go out one morning and find them splayed all out in the dirt. They'll be in the sun, flopped over in all sorts of crazy positions, looking like they're all dead. Now, that will be a true sign of very contented birds.
big_smile.png

Nothing says a chicken is happier than watching them roll like little dogs in the dirt, flopping all around and rubbing their little backs and heads in it, tossing the dirt on their backs with their wings and feet. We have an old strawberry bed that is tiered, and they'll get up in it because the dirt is loose. I was watching my Polish and Silkie hen the other day, and was cracking up at how they were digging this huge crater and just rolling around it, then lay there like they had to catch their breaths before going into another dirt frenzy.

Ya chickens are one of the best thing to reduce stress. The hours of therapy they provide is priceless. When mine free range they entertain us daily.

bigzio

Yes, I love watching them take dirt baths. They are so funny. Some of the positions they get themselves into!!!

I have three that are just a few days old but if one is doing something, the other two come running over to see what she's doing. It's pretty funny how nosey they are.

The first thing I do after a stressfull day at work is to let my chickens out in the yard. Nothing calms me down faster than watching the gang go about their business!

Hey, I_Love_Chickens:
True, so true! I too, am new to chickens, as some time back I had some chicks/pullets to feed to this certain reptile, but when I got home with them, they were obviously too big for the reptile. So, I kept the birds. Then later, for all the right reasons, I inherited this rooster from a friend. He's quite the dude, struting around all the time, and all. He eats from our hand and then turns the treats over to his hens. Their baby chicks have free run to even jump onto his back (when he's lying down). In the evening he ushers everyone back to their coop. Of course, I can hear him at the weirdest hours of the dark morning. I said all that to say....one day I look out, and there he was, on the ground, on his back, in the sun, dang foot stuck straight up in the air! I thought the worst, of course. I dashed out to see what the matter was, only to disturb him. Up he jumped, to my surprise and delight!
smile.png
He was just doing a dust bath thing, I guess, and had gotten comfortable enough to nap or something, I thought he was a gonner, just like Blisschick said. Wished I'd got a picture, darndest thing I've seen him do! By the way, I don't keep reptiles now, only chickens, they are way more cool!
Enjoy yours as they grow and mature. -Spence

This forum is so awesome. These stories make me laugh and we are all chicken fanatics so its awesome. I went to work today and told everyone about the chicks I got friday and everyone thinks i've lost it. They told me I should get a rabbit or a dog but not chickens. I've been around chickens before and they are adorable. Its cool to have chickens in the middle of town here when no one else really does. Theres a few donkeys and smaller horses but hardly any chickens.
smile.png
Its nice to go against the flow.

Quote:
The reason you usually don't see chickens in town is because most of the time they are not legal to keep there. I know two people, that because of the Grandfather law are allowed to keep poultry and other farm animals in town, and that's so cool, but I had a friend that had her peacocks taken away form her, and got in big trouble for having them in town. It's sad, I think hens should be allowed in town as long as they are caged. It's not like they bother anything! In my town even rabbits are considered farm animals and are illegal! I moved to the country just so I could have farm animals. The donkeys are probably on land that has a Grandfather law, and that is why they are legal to keep in town.

Back
Top Bottom