Him or her? I’m on the fence.

BGcoop

Crowing
5 Years
Aug 5, 2018
It’s been a few years since I had a GLW and technically I didn’t order any but this is what was shipped to me: this bird’s comb started to get pink at about 4 weeks old, but then kind of stopped at pink- it hasn’t really gotten bright red yet. It also has some slightly darker gold to its wings than the rest of it. I do not see any pointed saddle feathers yet but the saddle area on this one is a little messy…and the legs are thicker than the other chicks of the same age however this is the only GLW in the bunch so I have nothing to compare to. It is 10 weeks old now. Thoughts?
image.jpg
IMG_5404.jpeg
IMG_5407.jpeg
image.jpg

As you can see from this last photo the comb really isn’t that much redder than some of the other birds the same age but theirs just started getting a hint of color in the last week or so not at 4 weeks old.

I kind of hope so as I really liked the soft brown eggs from my previous GLWs! but I guess it doesn’t matter either way since I currently only have one rooster and he’s getting up there in years so if this ends up being a weird boy it’ll be fine.

I kind of hope so as I really liked the soft brown eggs from my previous GLWs! but I guess it doesn’t matter either way since I currently only have one rooster and he’s getting up there in years so if this ends up being a weird boy it’ll be fine.
Either way, wishing you the best of luck with what ever gender you have. :)

Other than saddle feathers, is there anything else that differentiates males/females with the GLWs?
The GLW cockerels will have more broken feathering.

Such as this:

Here you may observe the darker, more broken feathering on the Roosters saddle, shoulders, and hackle.
1715313710682.jpeg

And here the more, uniform feathering of the hen.
1715313767396.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom