Hit by a car

Alice T

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 5, 2017
Smoky Mountains
All my chickens are free range. I try to train them to stay away from the road. Generally they do a good job staying away from the road. 11/29/23 I went to the doctors. As I was coming up the mountain to home, I got a phone call from a neighbor that said one of my chickens got hit and was still alive. They moved her to my front yard.

When I saw her my initial assessment was she had blood coming out of her mouth and she cannot walk. When she ate or drank she was uncomfortable. We gave her blueberries kieffer. Then I switched her over to multi grain bread soaked in water. She would spaz when she ate. Blood stopped coming out of her mouth after 2 days. I also placed her in a small box with hay. I sincerely thought she would die over night and I made her comfortable.

It has been 5 months. I made her a larger box with her small box. She actually will jump between them or jump out to the floor. She does not spaz that much when she eats. But still does every once in awhile. Daily I place her by the water bowl. Now I feed her a party mix for chickens, and the water soaked bread, so I know she is getting water. I keep her in the house. She still cannot get up on her feet. She scoots around the floor by flapping her wings. She loves getting into tight places.

I know she is not paralyzed because when I pick her up she moves both legs and flap her wings. I see her try to get up on her legs, unsuccessfully. Sometimes her toes are curled under and her legs go sideways.

I have no vet that will see chickens. My question is, will she be like this the rest of her life? She has bonded with one of my Aussies they lay together.

We found a chicken wheel chair in Australia that is a bit pricy. I will get it if this is a forever thing.

You've come a long way with her. That's amazing. Your care is doing it!

You could try vitamin therapy for her.

B complex such as the human version. I'd give her 1/2 of one per day for a couple of weeks.

I'd also give Vit. E., again, the human version, just pop these in her mouth. For the E, give her a little scrambled egg which helps the E absorb.

I'll tag a friend that has handicapped chickens who may have ideas for you. @triciayoung

Back
Top Bottom