Holding our hens

There is a proper way to hold chickens too, which when used tends to calm them down more quickly, reduces stress, and gives you much more control over your bird.

I go and sit in the coop with my 10 week old chicks right around bed time. They have all started to fly up and sit on my back, shoulders and lap. I was so worried they wouldn't be friendly. One of them gets on my shoulder, and hunkers down. She would stay there all night if I let her. I think spending time, hand feeding and talking to them is the key.

That's my barred Plymouth Rock cuddle on my neck/back.

3 of my chicks all chilling on my back.

There is no proper way. Just time and treats. Sit and be quiet let them come to you and offer treats.
I have a park bench in the day runs and I sit with my cuppa and a slice of bread. They jockey for the best position on the bench next to me.

Be patient. There will always be one in the flock who will makes friends with you.

This one hen has always wanted to share her day with me. I'm not attempting to hold her or cuddle her.

This one will allow me to stroke her back once or twice.

I had these girls since they were 3 days old. All of the were handled on a daily basis for the first two weeks of their lives. Some learned to accept my touch. Some never did.

Here is a good link on how to hold your chickens. Yes, it's a video on how to handle them for showing, however, you will notice that they do a very thorough examination at the shows, with a minimum of fuss. For years I handled mine in the conventional way. When I began learning how to handle my chickens like in the link, I discovered it to be so much easier. The chickens calm down easier, they quickly get used to being handled like this, and without them struggling against me, I can easily check them over more thoroughly. I have 2 year old red sex links that I recently started handling this way, so you don't have to start with chicks.
http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/showmanship4h.html

Here is a good link on how to hold your chickens.  Yes, it's a video on how to handle them for showing, however, you will notice that they do a very thorough examination at the shows, with a minimum of fuss.  For years I handled mine in the conventional way.  When I began learning how to handle my chickens like in the link, I discovered it to be so much easier.  The chickens calm down easier, they quickly get used to being handled like this, and without them struggling against me, I can easily check them over more thoroughly.  I have 2 year old red sex links that I recently started handling this way, so you don't have to start with chicks.
http://www.fredsfinefowl.com/showmanship4h.html

I couldn't get it to upload but yes that is how I tried to explain it in post #6 . I was taught by a judge to handle my chickens. It is far less stressful and if you ever intend showing it is imperative to train your chickens to sit calmly or the judge will disqualify them.

Thanks very much for that, very interesting as I am hoping to show my chickens here in the UK, not sure if they have the same procedures I have yet to find out.

Thank you Fancychooklady for confirming what I was trying to convey. Even if you aren't going to show them, it's still very good to handle them this way for both the handler, and the bird. As I said, I began using these methods on 2 year old hens that I have no intention of showing, but within a very short time, they have accepted these methods, and it's quick and easy to thoroughly check them over. I began learning because I now have very large showbirds. I wish I had learned this years ago.

I took 3 silkies to a show. The 2 that I had taken the time with , picking them up as described , daily and keeping them in a small pen for a week before the show placed 1 st and 2 nd in breed. The third one I decided at the last minute to take , flapped her wings and carried on a treat when the judge was handling her. He quietly placed her back in the cage and moved on. He told me later not to bother showing her until she could sit in the palm of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom