Home built incubator thermostat idea and question

chiques chicks

Songster
7 Years
May 11, 2012
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
I'm building an incubator. All the thermostats seem to measure air temperature. I'm thinking of building a remote thermostat sensor into an egg like object to better maintain egg temperature. I've built a shell of epoxy, but want to fill it with something to simulate the consistency of an egg. Would silicone be adequate? Water? Any other ideas? I may even consider a blown egg shell as the case.
Or am I a moron to even try? I'm also considering adding a temperature sensor in the same case as verification.
thank you for your thoughts.

a water heater thermostat might work, i'm also thinking of making my own incubator, iv'e been doing a lot of research on what works good and what doesnt

I currently have a water heater thermostat installed. Be careful which you get. My first one wouldn't set low enough. The one I have now is from Home depot, about $9. Touchy, but works.
what I an thinking is an electronic thermostat with a remote sensor mounted inside an egg like substance to regulate heat based on internal egg temperature as opposed to incubator air temperature.
may be overkill and over thinking this whole thing, but to me, it makes sense.
Building an electronic thermostat with a relay that can be mounted outside the incubator with only a sensor write into the incubator itself avoids moisture problems with circuits. Art that point ensuing the sensor in a mass to simulate an egg somehow makes sense to me.

My question is what to use to stimulate an eggs thermal characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom