homemade coop size

building a coop
7.5 feet long x 4 feet deep
4ft high
would that fit 7 or 8 standard size chickens ?
thinking barred rocks and Dominque's
Probably fine for 7 chickens, but better not to try 8.

(That is based on 4 square feet of space per chicken for 7 chickens, plus 2 square feet for the feeder & waterer.)

If the nests are on the floor taking up space, I would probaby go down to 6 chickens.

Just a comment on the dimensions mentioned -- if you're going the DIY route, I'd base dimensions off common lumber dimensions. This might help make less cuts and if you are cutting, the cutoff piece is more likely to be a usable dimension and less material is wasted. Such as making that 7.5 foot length 8ft.

Just a comment on the dimensions mentioned -- if you're going the DIY route, I'd base dimensions off common lumber dimensions. This might help make less cuts and if you are cutting, the cutoff piece is more likely to be a usable dimension and less material is wasted. Such as making that 7.5 foot length 8ft.
Good point, to consider the material sizes when planning the coop dimension.

In this case, I assumed the 7.5 feet was the interior dimension, after overlapping 8 foot boards across the ends of 4 foot boards. The chickens care about inside dimensions, not outside, so listing the inside dimensions made sense to me. But assumptions are dangerous things, and mine could easily be wrong :)

Good point, to consider the material sizes when planning the coop dimension.

In this case, I assumed the 7.5 feet was the interior dimension, after overlapping 8 foot boards across the ends of 4 foot boards. The chickens care about inside dimensions, not outside, so listing the inside dimensions made sense to me. But assumptions are dangerous things, and mine could easily be wrong :)
You never know, it's easily overlooked if you don't have experience building stuff. If you built the framing like mentioned, it's possible to have a dilemma when it came time to skin that side of the exterior with standard 4ft wide sheets :barnie

You never know, it's easily overlooked if you don't have experience building stuff. If you built the framing like mentioned, it's possible to have a dilemma when it came time to skin that side of the exterior with standard 4ft wide sheets :barnie
Yes, it is frustrating. Either you have to cut some of the framing pieces, or you have to get extra material for the outside.

Either way, advance planning saves at least some headaches, so I agree it is worth mentioning-- especially for anyone still at the planning stage. It is so much easier to re-draw the plans before you buy or cut!

Back
Top Bottom