Homemade deodorant... It's the bomb!

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Store deodorant does not at all work for me. I have lovely extra bacteria growing under my arms which is genetic, my kids have it too. I've tried the salt rock by crystal, which works okay, but I still perspire.

I found this recipe online, but I don't follow the exact directions.

The recipe calls for

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
6 Tbsp unrefined coconut oil
6-8 drops essential oils(optional)

I tried this and it worked like magic! No more smell whatsoever, which has never happened since I hit puberty. I don't need to rewash under my arms several times a day any longer, plus all the ingredients are natural. Im really into homesteading. :)

My version is equal parts baking soda/corn starch and just enough coconut oil to make a crumbly mixture for it to stick together. I have 3 types of oils and I've used peppermint so far. I preferred not using the essential oil.

I only need to apply once in the morning and I'm good to go all day no matter how hot and sweaty I may get.

I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested!

Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial, so that makes sense-not scents Ha.
tongue.png

I may give it a try! Thanks!

And coconut oil is anti fungal too. I love using coconut oil for many things, even in my cooking.

Very interesting! I may have to try this. I tend to be perfectly fine with either anti-persperant or deoderant, so it's a minor issue with me. Several "close" women have told me that I smell slightly of sweet onion after a hard days work out in the heat. Thank God for that. It would drive me to new levels of insanity if I had the problem you do, so I give you lots of kudos with still caring after all these years!

What consistency is it when you make it? Is it like a thick paste that will dry and clump or anything as the day goes on? You have my curiosity raging. Thanks for the information. I love hearing about these types of things.

One more thing... Is it special unpastuerized coconut oil or will the regular stuff work. I've never bought it, but I assume it needs to be like the honey and be raw?

It's unrefined. It white and solidifies at 70f and lower and melts like normal oil over 70F.

This is what I buy
B12A3BEF-DDA0-415F-966B-8AD313D14ADA-5433-00000346013ADD88_zpsc1d71170.jpg

Thats very interested. Thanks for the recipe, with some of the older children using deodorant it gets costly....plus I hate some of the ingredients in the store bought.

So, can you see it on you skin when you apply or is it "invisible" like the store brand?

No, I rub it in and I do not see it. It doesn't stain my clothes at all and if I do apply too much, I'll wipe off any extra with a towel.

I've been using this for a while now and I have not had one single smell of perspiration, which is purely amazing! I have a few batches made up now with the different oils and one without. The essential oils I personally bought are tea tree, germ fighter and peppermint. The germ fighter smell is not my favorite, but both the germ fighter and tea tree are suppose to help fight bacteria. The other two oil scents I do like, but we all have our own individual preference. I do like without the essential oils the best as I love a faint coconut smell.

I apply only once a day now. With store bought I had to wash my underarms several times a day and reapply the deodorant. Even prescription strength did not work for me!

I will not ever go back to store brand. They don't work for me anyway. Since this recipe works so well, I had to share. All 3 of my children have the extra perspiration smell. My genetics of this passed onto them. They use the homemade deodorant also. My confidence has actually gotten better, especially around my husband!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom