Honky Again....What kind of Goose Am I??

He has to be an embden as white chinese have the knobs on their heads which Honky does not.
If we knew his age, that's whats hardest to determine. My Paddy is just getting his knob. Hatched march 17. Adults I have all whites and one brown. African are my preference but I have 9 chinese currently, 4 adult. Paddy was first hatch this year.
I think Honky is Embden.
agree, thanks! I respect you opinion very much, I know you have had a few! I have 4 embden gosling that 2 are showing the same blue/grey colors since the fluff is going away. My last group was 23 years ago, My memory fails me as I just wanted a large breed for Dads pets.
2 are white from the beginning 2 am thinking goose still have grey/black colors on tail and saddle, some on wingtips.. same as Honky.
I thought cotton patch but I thing he/she Honky is still a gosling. Would love to see him/her in person!

Last edited:
If we knew his age, that's whats hardest to determine. My Paddy is just getting his knob. Hatched march 17. Adults I have all whites and one brown. African are my preference but I have 9 chinese currently, 4 adult. Paddy was first hatch this year.
agree, thanks! I respect you opinion very much, I know you have had a few! I have 4 embden gosling that 2 are showing the same blue/grey colors since the fluff is going away. My last group was 23 years ago, My memory fails me as I just wanted a large breed for Dads pets.
2 are white from the beginning 2 am thinking goose still have grey/black colors on tail and saddle, some on wingtips.. same as Honky.
I thought cotton patch but I thing he/she Honky is still a gosling. Would love to see him/her in person!

I appreciate you saying this jchny2000 but I tell ya they can sure fool ya, Honky reminds me so much of my Embden especially the face. But if I look even at Sebbies the face looks very much like Embden, just the face though LOL. I do know that some Embdens do have color because Wild Peas has 2 girls that have the same color on their feathers. Be interesting to see if Honky is male or female I think next year will be interesting. I always have leaned towards gander when reading about Honky because of the biting sounds so much like my gander my goose has never offered to bite me, how about you any differences in your goose to gander as far as biting goes?

Last edited:
There are white pilgrim geese who look similar to Honky. Male pilgrims are white with gray near the tail, like your goose, female pilgrims are brown.

As for biting, I've been around bitey females and males.

Last edited:
Quote: My gander Gee is the first to charge and bite a stranger or something that doesn't belong in HIS yard. Gee won't bite me anymore. I notice with my chinese, I have a very aggressive goose, she is not my favorite, Snowy. Her sister April was worse, I finally rehomed April with a lady that needed a mate for her gander, and that broke the aggression problem with snowy.. WeeWee never bites but she is a grey, Angel another white, rarely does. They don't even consider biting me anymore, unless its mating season and I am collecting eggs!.
So far my embden are very sweet, and my africans are just precious! I have 1 embden gander that tries to be nippy but has learned fast its not ok. He is much larger than the other 3. He is getting his big boy voice, and he sounds a lot like a canadian! We Did the flock merge today, but I separated them for the night, and made my babies stay in their house so they can adjust to the main goose coop. I will beg DD for pics tomorrow. I really think once you see the embdens as goslings you can tell he has to be one.

I have pics of my Embden gander as a gosling but sadly I didn't have a computer then so they are in a photo album[remember them] lol I thought about Pilgrim too but couldn't understand why anyone would drop off a pilgrim gander when they aren't as prevalent as the embdens etc. but maybe so dd. What ever honky is he's a beautiful goose.

I appreciate you saying this jchny2000 but I tell ya they can sure fool ya, Honky reminds me so much of my Embden especially the face. But if I look even at Sebbies the face looks very much like Embden, just the face though LOL. I do know that some Embdens do have color because Wild Peas has 2 girls that have the same color on their feathers. Be interesting to see if Honky is male or female I think next year will be interesting. I always have leaned towards gander when reading about Honky because of the biting sounds so much like my gander my goose has never offered to bite me, how about you any differences in your goose to gander as far as biting goes?

One of my girls, who has gone through a complete molt, did not get her grey feathers back. The other one is still molting so I don't know yet if she is going to lose her grey feathers permanently or not.

Honky doesn't remind me of an embden though, to me he looks like a cross with something. It will be easier to tell when he is older I think.

Here is one of my goose/hens chowing on their FF. couldn't get a face shot, will get one BEFORE I put their food down
lau.gif
My goslings all hatched/shipped 7/23/13. They are huge little tanks already
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom