Hoop Coop in TX, I think it might have been a bad idea

IMG_4463.jpeg

In hotter climates, you build for the heat, and adapt for the cold.

This photo is of my hoop coops in “winter“ mode.
Tarps on the tops only. Opaque plastic on the back (north) side and below the tarps, screwed down with wood strips. Open on the front (south) side. When Texas froze in February, 2021, I covered the fronts too. The food and nest boxes are in the middle out of the weather.

in "summer" mode, the north and south ends are both open for cross ventilation. I used to take the plastic sides off in summer, but found the plastic actually blocked the sun much better than shade cloth. In summer, I now leave the plastic on, but detach it from the bottom of the coop only, and put a slit or two down the plastic. This allows the plastic to rise and fall with the wind and actually keeps the coops cooler In the summer. This only works with the heavy opaque plastic sheeting, NOT SHEER PLASTIC.

Of course I also follow other summer precautions with plenty of water, foot baths, etc.

Last edited:
My husband and I built a hoop coop that is mostly tarped with 1/4 of the hoop not tarped and the ends not tarped. I have 10 young pullets in it. I went out there a few minutes ago and it was 102 in there! The tarp is just trapping heat! Does anyone else have this problem? I dunked my girls in a bucket of water ( up to the neck)to cool them off. Texas gets HOT. Summer hasn't even started yet. I am not sure what to do keep it from trapping heat. Is there a certain tarp I should get? We have no trees either. Any ideas are appreciated.View attachment 3494052
Go to Greenhouse megastore and order an adequate length and width of 70% aluminet to cover your coop. You also might want to put an industrial type fan at one end to maintain air flow.

It gets really bad here in central CA, too. Last year I had good luck with misters - they are cheap and very effective. Amazon has several, and your local hardware store/feed store probably does, too. Dropped the temp at least 10 degrees. Also a fan would help.
You could use them in the hoop coop or over it, We also used to insulate roofs with piles of hay when I lived in India. Wetting the hay might help even more, just pile it on the top.

My husband and I built a hoop coop that is mostly tarped with 1/4 of the hoop not tarped and the ends not tarped. I have 10 young pullets in it. I went out there a few minutes ago and it was 102 in there! The tarp is just trapping heat! Does anyone else have this problem? I dunked my girls in a bucket of water ( up to the neck)to cool them off. Texas gets HOT. Summer hasn't even started yet. I am not sure what to do keep it from trapping heat. Is there a certain tarp I should get? We have no trees either. Any ideas are appreciated.View attachment 3494052

My question is why take all the trouble and expense to use this set up which isn't working. It will be NO defense against dogs, cats, opossum or any bigger animals like raccoons, weasel, coyote, etc. Take it down and build or buy a small wooden shed which will be secure, cool in summer if you have a window and warm in winter. Good luck. Don't give up, keep it simple.

Can you make use of a patio sun umbrella to provide shade that won’t trap the heat?

Can you make use of a patio sun umbrella to provide shade that won’t trap the heat?
We ended up buying a rectangular shade sail that will cover the entire coop plus a little more. We just have to wait for the rain to stop so we can cement the posts and put up the sail. When we are done. I will post a picture. Hopefully before summer hits we can get it done. This is the "rainy" season in TX and we desperately need it. Hopefully we will get it done next weekend. lifting the sides of the tarp has helped a bunch. I just hope they don't get soaked with all this rain we are about to get. If so, I will be blow drying chickens lol.

It will be NO defense against dogs, cats, opossum or any bigger animals like raccoons, weasel, coyote, etc.
Why are you under the impression that it's not predator proof? The tarp just provides protection from rain and snow.
There's hardware cloth over the cattle panels.

Back
Top Bottom