Hope they are all still hens

StephHSC

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 8, 2013
Here is the latest pics. The youngest a EE is 11 weeks old now and I'm seeing more changes. She has muffs and her comb has gotten bigger. Hope she is still a she!
That's Bets rear in the middle.

Jenny standing Betsey next to her.

Mary Nell the RIR and Ms. MoneyPenny the Cuckoo Maran

Betsey is the youngest, but she has the biggest feet. Does she still look lika girl?
Thanks,
Steph

Your Easter Egger looks like a rooster to me, I think I see saddle feathers, the comb looks awfully red, and his tail is sloped down. The rest of your chickens are pullets.

Last edited:
Here is the latest pics. The youngest a EE is 11 weeks old now and I'm seeing more changes. She has muffs and her comb has gotten bigger. Hope she is still a she!
That's Bets rear in the middle. Her tail feathers appear pointed, and you can see the beginnings of saddle feathers. Both of those things are male characteristics.

The comb development is also a lot for an 11 week old EE. I think that Betsey is a cockerel.

Jenny standing Betsey next to her.

Jenny appears to be a pullet.
Mary Nell the RIR and Ms. MoneyPenny the Cuckoo Maran
Both Mary Nell and Ms. MoneyPenny look like pullets.

Betsey is the youngest, but she has the biggest feet. Does she still look lika girl?
Thanks,
Steph

L

Pretty EE! I like the beard. Might be a roo but it's still a bit early to tell with the tail feathers. Big feet usually to support taller body.

Betsy is a rooster. The comb is too red and too big for a eleven week old pullet. Also, I see that "her" coloring is darker orange in color on the wings, which is indicative of a male. The large, thick feet are another sign.

th.gif
Bummer. She/he is my favorite. Sure doesn't act like a roo. The buff Orphington is bossier than Betsey. I love the EE Roosters but my neighbors probably won't if she/he starts crowing.
The comb just blossomed a couple of weeks ago. It isn't as red as it looks in the picture. It is a little darker than the rest of the girls. She/he doesn't like the heat. Seems like she/he is more affected by higher temps than the others. They have been stressed lately by the hawks circling overhead and have been spending the majority of the day inside the coop. Thanks for your time! I appreciate your help even if I'm not happy with the answer. The tail and the spreading of the orange was worrying me. She/he only had a smidgen before this new feathering. Guess I better see if any of my relatives who live in the country can take "him". I'll wait until he crows though.

Last night I crowed some to see what he would do. This morning I heard a strange sound from the coop. I looked in the window and it was Betsey/Bert. Need to find a home for him. Sure wish I lived in the country so I could keep him.
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom