Horrible wet feather and possible swollen gland?

ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
Not really sure what to do, one of our geese has developed horrible wet feather and no matter what we do it just gets worse 😢 I’ve attempted to clean her in the bath today and it looks like the oil gland might be swollen? I’m not really sure, it still feels a bit oily but the wet feather has gotten so bad 😢

Attachments

• IMG_3994.jpeg
    IMG_3994.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 41
It might be that the preen gland is clogged. One of 4loveofparrots (instagram) goffins cockatoos has a chronic preen gland clogging issue and she has to express and clean it out periodically. It’s possible that it could also be an infection or worst case scenario a tumor.
Unfortunately I have no clue how to express a clogged preen gland so that might be something to have an avian vet look at. If you want I can ask 4loveofparrots if she can write out some instructions of how to do that?

It might be that the preen gland is clogged. One of 4loveofparrots (instagram) goffins cockatoos has a chronic preen gland clogging issue and she has to express and clean it out periodically. It’s possible that it could also be an infection or worst case scenario a tumor.
Unfortunately I have no clue how to express a clogged preen gland so that might be something to have an avian vet look at. If you want I can ask 4loveofparrots if she can write out some instructions of how to do that?
If you can that would be great 😢 I love this goose so much but ever since she was hatched she’s been the one getting all the issues, our other geese seem to be as fit as ever 😢 I’m not sure where the preen gland is at all, but she does like to cuddle and I can’t say I’ve felt any suspicious lumps anywhere so I’m hoping for the best..

majestic waterfall sanctuary has a great article about wet feather just scroll down till you get to the part about the oil gland I’ll post it here. Also, can you get better pictures it’s kind of hard to see. @Goosebaby http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/mmissue71.htm
It was really hard to get any pics yesterday as I had nobody to help hold her in place whilst I got a clearer one (and my camera is horrible) I’ll have a read through this!

If you can that would be great 😢 I love this goose so much but ever since she was hatched she’s been the one getting all the issues, our other geese seem to be as fit as ever 😢 I’m not sure where the preen gland is at all, but she does like to cuddle and I can’t say I’ve felt any suspicious lumps anywhere so I’m hoping for the best..
The oil gland is the same thing as thepreen gland

The oil gland is the same thing as thepreen gland
Haha yes I realised that when i looked it up 😅 I’m going to try see if I can get her inside again today to get a proper look at it and try some methods that other people had mentioned

Back
Top Bottom