horse

I am not really sure i do know that I have always loved horses/all animals for as long as i can remember and have always wanted a horse for as long as i can remember but you guys are right I don't really know if we can afford one right now but hopefully someday although i really would like one as i absolutely love horses. Yes I have taken lessons before. I used to take lessons a while ago when I was younger and then last year I took lessons but the sceduale got all messed up cause of winter and stuff (they didn't have an indoor riding ring and they changed the date and stuff cause of another lesson and stuff and I don't know it just got all messed up) but i want to take lessons again this year (like spring or summer or something). I also did a summer horse day camp thing last year with my friend at the same place I took the lessons and we got to ride and learn the parts of a horse and groom them and clean stalls and I think learn how to bathe them (always feet first so you don't startle/freeze their heart or whatever, it gives the heart a chance to get used to the water or whatever) and stuff and it was fun I loved it and I also learned a lot so I know its a lot of work and a lot of money and i probably can't get/afford a horse or 2 or 3 or whatever right now but I really would like one. i also have horse books and go online and stuff as well as taking the lessons and doing the summer camp I know my way around horses pretty well although I would not say I was a complete and total pro yet. Also I may be able to keep them here or at least one or 2 but maybe not idk (we have almost 3 acres, like 2 and a half to 3 acres) and loads of places to ride and stuff in town so idk. If I did get a horse I like Quarter Horses, Paints, Pintos, Appys, that type of thing. Also maybe Morgan, TB, Walker, Rocky Mountain Horse, maybe even Standardbred or something although I like pretty much all horses so I don't really care/have a preferance that much but those are some of the breeds i really like. But I don't know, I definately want one but maybe/if not now then eventually someday I would like one. thanks.

how long was the camp??
Just dont think about right now...yah you may like one RIGHT now but you have to think about the future too... I use to take care of my neighbors horses for long periods of time for two years because she had christmas partys and Thanksgiving and that sort of stuff. so you also have to think what you would do if you had like a family chrisis or something and who would take care of it...
hope this helps

Quote:
You just need to give me yours ...
wink.png

I love horses! I have two. They're both wonderful.
smile.png

Of course, I had to have 7 years of experience leasing and taking lessons before I was allowed to own a horse.

I was horse crazy from birth I think. Begged my parents for a horse and bless their hearts, they bought me one when I was 13. But they were seriously clueless and bought a weanling filly and left all her "training" up to me. I had never even had a riding lesson! I never really got to ride my horse, but I did meet someone with trained horses because of her and so I got to ride theirs.

Fast forward to the present (I'm 45 now). I finally got another horse and started riding lessons again. (I took lessons in college with my own money.) My daughter who is almost 13 has been taking lessons for several years and begged for a horse. Well, now that she has a horse, she is thinking about quitting lessons and hardly ever even goes out to see her horse if I don't make her, much less ride him. She's just lost interest. We just bought him a few months ago! If I weren't into them, there would be no point in having done all we did to get these horses - clearing, fence and barn building, etc. Definitely a good idea to lease first, especially for a young person who may lose interest when friends and school sports, etc. start to come first.

Asmith: I think the camp was like all summer so that's probably at least a few weeks. Asmith, holly, maggie, and everyone: and you guys all have great advice and I guess/think I will probably maybe continue to take lessons and/or lease one first and I will think about the future too. If I don't get one now then I do plan to eventually get one later on at some point in my life but you are right because if I do manage to convince my parents to let me get one now you are right; what about college and stuff, what do I do then since I most likely can't have a horse on campus (I'm in high school, 10th grade)? so you are right I definately have to think about that as well plus what if I decide to go to vet school or grad school or something then that's another few years that I can't have a horse so you are very right in that sense and I will definately have to think about that. And Holly you bring up a very good point, friends and school and stuff may get in the way you are right but then again my friends may like the horses too so I don't know plus with something so big and rideable and you love something that much it may be relatively hard to lose interest but you are right at this age I may as I started to with my rabbit and bird after a while but they are smaller and caged so it may be harder to lose interest with a horse but you are right it is still possible exspecially once I maybe realize all the work involved in keeping a horse and stuff so thats definately something I should watch out for and maybe wait until I am a little older to get a horse partly for that reason. All of your advice is very good advice that i will take into consideration when eventually getting/thinking about getting a horse. Thank you. Also what approximately is the monthly upkeep costs of keeping x number of horses? please see below for the number of horses.
monthly upkeep cost of:
1 horse
2 horses
3 horses
4 horses
5 horses
?

thank you also approxomately how much per month does it cost to board a horse and/or what are the approximate building costs of building a small barn for about 2-3 horses and a pasture in MA? and what are the costs of accessories and tack (halter, bridle, lead rope, western saddle/saddle, food, hay, blankets, fly spray, treats, grooming supplies, etc) in MA? thank you. I was/am planning on picking the most exspensive horse in the want ads that I would possibly get/be a good match, saving up that much, then probably buying a cheaper horse and having like a few thousand or something left over for expensenses and stuff. so for a example the most expensive horse in it this week is $4500 and the horse/horses that are prob the best match in it are $1,400 and $2100 so I would have like at least $3000 dollars left over to spend. so idk it seems like a pretty good plan to me what do you think? also for now if I get one I can prob just get one and get a goat or something as a companion for now ( i know they're herd animals). what do you think? thanks.

*edited for spelling*

Last edited:
What would you say your level of riding and overall horse knowledge is at? Beginner/Novice/Intermediate/Advanced/Pro?

What kind of riding to you do? Are you interested in showing/competing? What kind/breed of horse do you want to [eventually] get?

Just because you took lessons here and there, off and on, and went to camp, doesn't necessarily make you ready to be a horse owner.

You have been given a ton of great advice and I too agree with what's been said. Horses are a huge commitment, not to mention extremely expensive, so make sure you are physically, mentally, and financially capable before getting one.

I too strongly suggest you get back into a regular schedule of taking lessons, visit/help out at a barn, and then possibly lease a horse for a while before getting your own.

As for the price of board, that's hard to estimate. There's a huge difference in the cost depending on location, barn style (show barn?), and board choice (full/pasture).

Also keep in mind that board is just a part of the expense... you also have to add in the cost of tack, grooming supplies, supplements (if needed), vet, farrier, etc - the list goes on an on...

(Note: go online and see what items would cost. There are plenty of online tack stores and barn plans that can give you an estimated cost)

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
A lot of wise advice on this thread.

Remember that you will learn much more, and become a better horseperson, by riding *a wide variety* of horses for some years, than if you get minimally-competent and then get a horse of your own straight away.

Quote:
LOL, people who own horses while in college usually board them locally
wink.png
but most often find that they simply do not have time or energy to really do horse stuff. I know you think you would, everyone thinks they would, but usually not so much.

Also what approximately is the monthly upkeep costs of keeping x number of horses?

If you keep them at a house you own or rent, there are some minor economies of scale, but not all *that* much -- basically, the cost of keeping 2 horses is twice the cost of keeping 1 horse, and so on.

approxomately how much per month does it cost to board a horse

Between $50 - $2500, depending
tongue.png

Honest, there is no way to answer that question, it's like "how long is a piece of string". If you want to know, phone around to boarding barns in your area. What it'd cost to board somewhere 1000 miles away is simply not relevant.

Bear in mind that not all boarding barns are, er, appropriate or ideal, at least for many horses. You want somewhere with ample turnout (preferably 24/7 but with a stall available for bad weather or injury - but good luck *finding* that) with seriously safe fences, large grassy pastures, safe large nondusty stalls, somewhere you will be happy and safe riding, and management that does not belong in the loony bin (that last bit can be a toughie).

and/or what are the approximate building costs of building a small barn for about 2-3 horses and a pasture in MA?

A heck of a lot less than the cost of the land and the taxes on it.

You can put up a 12x20 run-in shed for maybe $5000 if you do it yourself (although you'd need somewhere else to store hay, ideally with a space in it for the farrier/vet to work); fencing 3 acres could run between $500-$5000+ depending on what's already there and other factors. Most horses function better on 24/7 turnout if you have good land. If your land is limited, figure on spending another $1000-5000 on doing the footing for an all-weather sacrifice paddock.

Of course you can spend quite a lot more if you want to
tongue.png

and what are the costs of accessories and tack (halter, bridle, lead rope, western saddle/saddle, food, hay, blankets, fly spray, treats, grooming supplies, etc) in MA?

You don't need most of this stuff, certainly you don't need it *new*. Basic horse ownership equipment exclusive of tack (halter, lead, rubber curry, one or two brushes, waterproof turnout sheet, fly mask) could be done for $150 in most cases. Basic bridle, $10-20 used or at auction. Saddle is the toughie, as it has to FIT THE HORSE and especially if you ride English you will find that this is a tall order. You are unlikely to find a cheap saddle that fits well (though it does happen occasionally, usually to *other* people
tongue.png
), likelier to have to spend $500-1500 and a lot of aggravation finding it.

I spend about $1500 per year on 5.5 months of hay for 3 horses, but prices vary regionally and from year to year. Buy GOOD hay, and have good pasture, and you may well not need any other feed (grain is by no means essential to many horses)

The big thing you've left out is healthcare and emergency expenses. Figure on $200/horse per year for routine vet care (yearly exam and vaccinations, including farm call), that includes a bit extra on the assumption that some years you'll have the vet out for a $60 abscess call or something. BUT... even a fairly routine simple colic or injury-requiring-sutures or lameness-requiring-diagnosis can VERY QUICKLY run up over $1000. You need to have, IMO, a couple thousand dollars of emergency funds that you can access if need be. And there is no guarantee that'll be enough for what you feel you "should" do for your horse.

You know what, it's fun to think about all this, but in your position, don't worry about planning all this stuff, there are waaaay too many unknowns involved and you have your whole future ahead of you. Just ENJOY horses for now, spend as much time with them as you can, get as much experience as you can, and I promise that if you want it enough, eventually, in time, something will fall in line for you
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom