HorseGirlAbby's flock thread!

Pics
So, on Wednesday, poor Little Nancy was limping really badly. I caught her and looked at her foot (a pretty hard thing to do!) and found that she had bumblefoot. This had gone past normal bumblefoot, though, as the scab had come off and her foot was bleeding. I stuck her in the entryway for a little, and went to get my supplies. I cleaned it off, sprayed it with microbial spray, and bandaged it up. The situation was complicated by Delaware, who was running around in the house, worrying everybody. I let her into the entryway as well, and put her on a bucket behind me. She started trying to get on my back as I was treating Little Nancy's foot, but finally she got onto the garbage can, and stopped bothering me. I finally got Little Nancy's foot all bandaged up and duct taped, as the vet wrap doesn't stick well enough. After all that, she was panting, and way too hot, as it was 95°F or so outside. The bandage stayed on through the rest of the day and night, and I changed it the next morning, without Delaware complicating things. I found a much better way to hold her, too, which made it a lot easier. I've found that some chickens love being held with their heads facing inwards, instead of out. So I just let her stand on the floor, and stick her head under my arm. She stayed there pretty still for the whole duration, and didn't seem to care what I was doing to her. She got mealworms afterwards, which made the whole situation much happier for her. This morning, her bandage came off for good, and she wasn't limping at all. Yay!

The good thing about knowing my chickens so well is that I can always spot when someone isn't feeling well. Goldy has always been a quiet hen, even when she was young, but yesterday afternoon, I saw her standing around by herself, looking uncomfortable. I tried calling her inside, but she wouldn't listen, as usual. I resorted to the worms bag, a sure way of getting a reluctant hen inside, but she ignored that as well. Here's where I knew something was really wrong. I managed to reach out into the run through the chicken door and pick her up, and I brought her inside that way. As soon as I touched her, I knew what the matter was. Her crop was full, and rock hard. She looked really, really miserable. I put her in the tractor with Delaware, so she could be away from the others for a while. She pecked a bit at the weeds, but didn't eat much, though she did drink some water. I went out later, and she seemed to be feeling better, but her crop hadn't emptied at all. I brought her out, just for fun, and she had an ok time eating some green grass, but I could tell her heart wasn't in it. Finally, I put her on the roost, and tucked them in for the night. This morning, I went out early (6:00!) to check on her before she'd eaten any food. Thankfully, she was much more alert, and her crop was empty. She must just have eaten too much!
A photo of Goldy from yesterday
IMG_3202.JPG

Nessy sunbathing
IMG_3197.JPG

That's not all we've been up to...
IMG_3141.JPG
IMG_3150.JPG
IMG_3157.JPG

Y'all know I'm a horse nerd, right?
IMG_3187.JPG

Yes, that's a model horse saddle I made. A bit weird, maybe, but it sure was fun!

After a long, long, time, I decided to update my thread. 🤪 The chickens are all well, but Bukky is starting to molt, and is very cranky. @Bakbuk, please tell her not to be so rude! I know you can communicate with her, right?

We went to see family the first weekend in September, and I was worried about leaving Delaware in the house with the other chickies while we were gone, as she was molting and the others were picking on her. A few hours before we left, I went out to check on them, and Del was sitting on top of the waterer, bleeding a bit. I decided that she was NOT staying in the house with the bullies, and put her in the tractor. I put a tarp on it, for shade and cover from the (nonexistent) rain. All by myself, in the wind, I might add. I have no idea what Lu was up to. Del got some food and water, and we left her there the whole time we were gone, three days. The neighbor checked on her, of course, and said she was doing well. She'd never been in the tractor at night before, and I'm sure when evening came she was terrified, but by the time we got back, she was okay with it. If I were on the computer, I'd post some recent photos, but I'm not so y'all will have to wait, sorry.

After a long, long, time, I decided to update my thread. 🤪 The chickens are all well, but Bukky is starting to molt, and is very cranky. @Bakbuk, please tell her not to be so rude! I know you can communicate with her, right?

We went to see family the first weekend in September, and I was worried about leaving Delaware in the house with the other chickies while we were gone, as she was molting and the others were picking on her. A few hours before we left, I went out to check on them, and Del was sitting on top of the waterer, bleeding a bit. I decided that she was NOT staying in the house with the bullies, and put her in the tractor. I put a tarp on it, for shade and cover from the (nonexistent) rain. All by myself, in the wind, I might add. I have no idea what Lu was up to. Del got some food and water, and we left her there the whole time we were gone, three days. The neighbor checked on her, of course, and said she was doing well. She'd never been in the tractor at night before, and I'm sure when evening came she was terrified, but by the time we got back, she was okay with it. If I were on the computer, I'd post some recent photos, but I'm not so y'all will have to wait, sorry.
Hey, I would have helped you. If I knew what you were doing. Way to throw me under a bus, Abigail.

Back
Top Bottom