Now that my own peep is a bit older (going to be 11 this summer!), I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to find a way to ride again! With that said, I don't suppose anyone here lives in New Mexico or West Texas...? Worth a shot!
This is a very old picture of me with the first client-owned colt I started, we called him "Porkchop". <3
Porkchop is beautiful! And your picture shows such a lovely bond between you and him.
I really hope you find a nice horse to lease or buy nearby, for you and your youngster. When I used to teach and be a judge for Pony Club, my favorites were the kids who were around 11! They were ideal students - young enough to accept correction as long as it was kind, but old enough to ask questions, and challenge the "why" of my answers. Young enough to be in love with their horses or ponies and never tolerate any unfair treatment (as all of us should be, no matter our age) but old enough to be analytical and thoughtful about why a riding or horse-care rule exists. Also, old enough to be really entertaining and funny!

I am getting my degree in English, however, my true passion and my current goal is to stay in the horse industry and pursue a career in that.
Good for you, you obviously have a talent in the horse industry, so you should continue to pursue what you love and find the right trainers to help you develop your horse talents into a life's work.
I'm sure you often hear things from different people like, "OMG, majoring in Humanities disciplines like English, is useless and a waste of time, because it DoEsn'T Lead to A Big MonEY CaReEr!"
But guess what, things change so fast that studying hard to follow the current stylish !Money Career( woo!!) trend may result in a few years of money-making, but depending on the industry, it can end when big international trends change, then you're left with nothing because your training was pointed to a narrow temporary demand rather than a true vocation. Like my BF partner, who got all educated in electronics (such a promising career in the 90s and he was talented) then got laid off with no warning 10 years later when his company sent the manufacturing to Taiwan for cheaper.

For a career, just consider developing whatever talent you have, into a skill that's hands-on and is needed in person. Things like trades - a plumber's or electrician's skills can't be sent overseas the way web development, social media marketing or IT can, because hands-on things are always needed. And horse training, teaching, riding skills are like that, but even more unusual because it takes a certain rare set of skills and understanding to be successful, from
experience as well as education from good people.

Reading all the old and modern English classics, and different interpretations of ancient and modern history, to some may not seem like a career path that is directly considered "valuable" in today's money-driven world, but it's an invaluable insight into centuries-old human behavior and values, that lends itself to pretty much any carreer, including horse careers that need understanding of the horses, but also how to reach the human clients.
I love giving lessons (and probably will always be doing it in some form or fashion--just the nature of the job), but I'd like to more focus on training horses and helping people and their horses in training rather than just doing a lesson barn forever.
I bet you are great at giving lessons! It's some peoples' calling, but even those who would rather train horse kids than human kids, both sides are needed for the students, and even more learning for the teacher.
but sadly I just learned that currently we can't ride on the track actually. :( When we first moved, I kept hearing back and forth answers: yes you can, no you can't, etc. Well, I made sure to ask my trainer/boss (I know I keep calling her "trainer" -- I grew up learning under her, but now she's technically my boss lol!) again yesterday, and she said that the guy who maintains/drags the track said it's supposed to be closed from 2pm onw
Boo, boo!
Of course, follow the rules as told to you, BUT:
Do you ever happen to run into the caretaker or owner by chance when your boss/instructor's not around? If so, be polite but ask more specifics about the rules. It never hurts to get to know them, engage in conversation about horses.
I don't know these people well enough to feel comfortable to ask them personally yet for any opportunities, so I'll just wait and see what unfolds for now.
good plan, just make sure you always behave as the horse person you always have been. And never forget this, even if currently they don't know you, they're lucky to have you in their barn.

I bought my first horse yesterday!
He’s a late teen welsh pony mix named August (Auggie for short)
IMG_4388.jpeg

It’s crazy how much a horse can change looks in two months especially the youngin’s! Top photo I took the day I bought him and the bottom photo I took yesterday. He is really muscling up nicely and getting so shiny😍
View attachment 3828511
Wow gorgeous!!!

Back
Top Bottom