Hot maine days

Ashley & Donna Dame

Songster
6 Years
Aug 11, 2017
It's the middle of July and phew is it hot. The chickens have to endure 90 degree weather with humidity. I've freshened their waterers with new cold water. Then I wanted to give them something sweet for energy and to help with the heat. So I pulled out a couple grape Popsicles. Broke them up, added a few spoons of strawberry yogurt and some frozen corn. Can we say crazy chickens? They went nuts for it.

Gimme some ideas on how you keep your girls cool in summer heat?

Our coops have both sun and shade with plenty of cool sand to roll in.

I only wish we could go back to the 90's.
I am in the Hill country of Texas and we are experiencing unprecedented, unrelenting heat wave! Over 100 everyday. 102-110. Normally it rarely climbs above 100 and stays there where I live but everyday has hit a record.
Watermelon is my first go to for my chickens. They love it. I buy big Texas watermelons and then cut them up and freeze chunks, rind and all so it will last. Watermelon has electrolytes and is as good for them as it is us. The only problem is you can overdue it, and they get the runs. But one good chunk a day for 6 birds makes them happy and calms their panting, I also give them cold or frozen corn, peas, strawberries, blueberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, & cucumbers.

Attachments

• 5-12-18 867.JPG
    5-12-18 867.JPG
    484.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I'm in NJ and we're experiencing a crazy heat wave this weekend. We provide a looooooot of ice. Husband works from home and I'm a stay-at-home mom, so we change out their water frequently and add ice. Frozen treats, frozen melon both help, too. I'm nervous for this weekend because it's our first heat wave with our first flock of chicks, but we'll be home and attentive to their needs.

I saw something on tik tok that you freeze gallon bottles of water, then take them out, cover with towel and wet it. This heat wave doesnt let it last long though!!!

Hehe, I had to chuckle a little at the idea of Maine being too hot. 90 with humidity 😅
Forgive me?
In Florida we have our AC running all night long 🤪

Back
Top Bottom