Housing for new members?

Jan 24, 2019
Hello! I am not sure as to what I should house new ducklings in. I am looking on tractor supply for possible housing but everything is either too small or too expensive! I want to be able to house them in the same pen/coop from duckling to adult and make sure they are safe. Is there anyone who knows any good pens to house ducks in that is affordable? The price I am hoping to spend on it is about $50-$80. It would hopefully be used to house two ducks. Thank you!

Most of the pre-built coops/coop-run combos are very pricey and also not very practical. A coop for two would be very easy to build by yourself: you could pick up some pallets and build a simple rectangle with a door and some windows for ventilation. Alternatively, dog houses work well with some modification, and they're easy to find for cheap/free locally.

What kind of predators do you have? Hardware cloth is the recommended fencing material, as it's small enough and tough enough to protect your ducks from foxes, mink, raccoons, and other crafty predators. However, it tends to be the most expensive part of the build.

Most of the pre-built coops/coop-run combos are very pricey and also not very practical. A coop for two would be very easy to build by yourself: you could pick up some pallets and build a simple rectangle with a door and some windows for ventilation. Alternatively, dog houses work well with some modification, and they're easy to find for cheap/free locally.

What kind of predators do you have? Hardware cloth is the recommended fencing material, as it's small enough and tough enough to protect your ducks from foxes, mink, raccoons, and other crafty predators. However, it tends to be the most expensive part of the build.
Thank you! We almost always have a bundle of chicken wire or garden fencing lying around! I am will see if we have any spare wood laying about as well!

Thank you! We almost always have a bundle of chicken wire or garden fencing lying around! I am will see if we have any spare wood laying about as well!
chicken wire will NOT keep predators out. You can use it for fencing of a run for them but if you use it on the coop it won't be good. You need 1/2" hardware cloth.

chicken wire will NOT keep predators out. You can use it for fencing of a run for them but if you use it on the coop it won't be good. You need 1/2" hardware cloth.

Yes! I live in an area with few daytime predators (no foxes), so I am able to use chicken wire for a run because my birds are always in their coop by nightfall. I would always, always recommend using hardware cloth for the coop itself, just in case any night time predators come knocking. And very small rolls of hardware cloth tend to be affordable, so there's no reason not to use it.

Back
Top Bottom