Hovabator Genesis 1588 Humidity Questions :)

Lil_Miss_Farmer_Chick

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2009
Kalkaska, Michigan
Hi everyone,
I have 33 eggs in my incy and I think I'm just being a touch paranoid, but what Humidity % should I be running at for days 1- 18 and 19-21. The instructions from the company don't mention where it should be at. Also, should the vent plug be in or out? I noticed it does have small vent holes every 6 inches or so all around the bottom that are open all the time for air flow. My humidity has been running about 37 - 45 % and we are on day 9.

Thanks
smile.png

I run mine at about 30% humidity for the first 18 days and then bump it up to 60-65%. I always run with the vent plugs out. A lot depends on where you're located....local weather and even altitude play into what levels you'll need to run at. Those readings are what I've found work best for me over the years....so a lot of it is trial and error until you find what works best for you.

Thank you, this is my first hatch with this incubator and I'm truly taking a hands off approach. I only fill the water trough about 2-3 x per week. I haven't candled, I thought I would do it on lock down day because I have to take the turner out and already have the lid open. I borrowed a 1602 last year and had a horrible hatch (0 out of 18). I think some of the fault was because the eggs were shipped and only 5 were fertile, but then the rest is on me as I messed with everything to much. Although this time I don't feel as anxious or the need to touch, look, fiddle, etc. I got this incy because the heat was pre-set and seem easier to use. So we will see. I have good thoughts about this one.....
big_smile.png

I have the same bator you have. I've had it for 5 years or so. I never checked the humidity. On lockdown day, I just fill the center trough and don't open it until all have hatched. I run it with the vent plug in. If water vaper collects on the inside of the window, I will open the plug. This has never happen. I have only had one failed hatch, SHIPPED EGGS. Man they are hard to hatch. This is what I do. Get all the info. you can. Its takes practice to get it right. Like the above poster said. Location and climate play a hand also. Don't give up and let us know how it works out.
big_smile.png

I candle at day 5 and again at 10.

Last edited:
I just bought one and will have a hatch going in this weekend. When did you set yours?

oops just read your signature line. I hope it goes well for you! I don't know if I'll be able to avoid candling so long!

Last edited:
I have the 1588. I followed their instructions and it worked as far as humidity. I had a temperature problem but that is a different issue. I don't worry too much about what the humidity is. From different posts on here, it is obvious thaty different humidities work for different people. For your first time, I suggest following their instructions and be consistent throughout the hatch, then analyze the unhatched eggs and decide if you need to change anything.

I use the hygrometer to tell me when I need to add water. It is hard to tell when that reservoir is empty. If you need to add water during lockdown, you can take a couple of those straws with the accordian joints, put them together, and use a syringe to put water in the reservoir without opening the incubator. You can get syringes at the feed store.

Another use for the hygrometer. I once had the humidity drop about 5% after I added water. It made no sense at all. I finally noticed that I had not gotten the turner cord back in the groove, so the lid was not on tight. Temperature held fine, but the humidity dropped. So use it to tell you when something is not right.

Back
Top Bottom