How a black chicken can outsmart a hawk

That's good to know. We have a bunch of hawks around us but no hawk attacks (just coyotes). Thought it was maybe the lack of trees, now I wonder if it's our two black australorps. And here I was thinking of removing them from the flock as they won't serve our breeding project.

I am glad to see this, though my current flock will not include any black hens that I know if, I will keep it in mind. I do see crows chasing hawks, and was frankly hoping crows would help my flock that way.

I think a hawk if hungry enough it doesn't care what color a chicken is but may be less prone to take a black chicken. We also have Bald Eagles here. I have seen the immature eagles that look like big hawks because they don't get their white heads and tails until they are around 5 years old. One took a friends big rooster. Good luck...

That's good to know. We have a bunch of hawks around us but no hawk attacks (just coyotes). Thought it was maybe the lack of trees, now I wonder if it's our two black australorps. And here I was thinking of removing them from the flock as they won't serve our breeding project.
NO! They are too cute and now you know they serve a purpose! yeah!

I think a hawk if hungry enough it doesn't care what color a chicken is but may be less prone to take a black chicken. We also have Bald Eagles here. I have seen the immature eagles that look like big hawks because they don't get their white heads and tails until they are around 5 years old. One took a friends big rooster. Good luck...
Well, in the article, the farmer has not had trouble with hawk attacks.... Ravens and crows can be aggressive, so the hawk being wary of them may be true. Though, I agree, if given the chance of a target, the hawk may be hungry enough to attack. Never can predict nature at 100%.

Back
Top Bottom