How/can a chicken "raise" ducklings she hatches?

greenporter

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 8, 2015
Jumping over from the other thread "Can chickens hatch duck eggs"...
We are about 10 days from this duck hatch. The chicken has been sitting on two duck eggs of which only one looks viable. Now our concern turns to what to do when the hatch takes place?

Our two previous hatches were incubator and we raised the ducklings ourselves inside for 30 days before putting them out. We have never had a mother duck or chicken brood and "raise" her own. So we are in double foreign territory here: a natural incubation plus it's a chicken on duck egg(s).

? Do we leave the hatchling duck with her chicken momma (or take it away to raise inside under a lamp)?
? If so, will she keep the duckling warm and care for it?
? How about food and water... do we just put water and the crumbs near the nest for the duckling to feed?

We have some other concerns, such as the brooding location and whether it would be suitable for a duckling, but maybe later on all of that.

TIA,
Greenporter (Jim)

A broody hen can raise a duckling. Keep them away from ponds etc. as the hen will freak out when the duckling swims away. Feed them the same as when you raised the duckling yourself.

Thank you... maybe i have to move them at some point as she is brooding on the 2nd level (4 feet up) of a two-story house, which might be hazardous for the duckling. Do you suppose we need to segregate them to protect the duckling from any aggressive chickens or ducks?

Jim

Most of the time, a broody hen will take care of any chicks that she hatches. They don't care if it's their 'biological' chick or not. But not every hen that goes broody will make good mother. Sometimes a very dedicated sitter turns out to be a really lousy mom. Have a brooder setup and ready just in case.
Most of the time broody hens will mother just about anything. You will need to move them down, so that the duckling doesn't get hurt once it hatches. Dog crates are really good to have around for this purpose. When the hen gets off the nest for her meal and drink, put the whole nest in a dog crate with bedding, then put the hen in and shut the door. That way, everybody is safe and comfy. Once the duckling hatches, the hen should protect the chick/duckling from the rest of the flock. After a few weeks, the flock won't even notice the little one.

Thank you... maybe i have to move them at some point as she is brooding on the 2nd level (4 feet up) of a two-story house, which might be hazardous for the duckling. Do you suppose we need to segregate them to protect the duckling from any aggressive chickens or ducks?

Jim

I would not move this hen's nest unless absolutely necessary; many hens abandon their nest when it is moved.
When the duckling has hatched move hen and baby to the floor. I would separate them from the rest of the birds for a few days until the duckling is more mobile. Then put them in with the flock if that is what you wish to do. Good luck.

Thank you! I really appreciate everyone's input. As my grandpa said, "better to learn from someone else's mistakes than your own".

Hatch started yesterday morning and I found it was done in the evening. Blanche, the brooding hen, was not sitting close to her duck hatchling, who was splayed out in the hay bedding. Blanche pecked at me and the baby and, with a cool night ahead, i decided not to risk it.

Back
Top Bottom