How do I avoid egg eating?

As long as they have a good diet with 16+% protein it shouldn't be an issue.
Mine will eat eggs that get accidentally broken in the nests but will not deliberately break them.

I even give mine a few eggs, served raw and broken into their feed dish. They all partake yet if I put it there without breaking it they look at it but do not peck it.

You can put dark curtains on your nest boxes so that they can't see all that great in there. Will deter curious pecking. Also make sure they have access to oyster shell, you can coat oyster flour on meal worms, on top of giving layer feed. Strong shells are harder to break and once they figure out what's inside those eggs is when it's a rewarding behavior for them and they'll continue. Also fake eggs, there are some really good ones on Amazon. I have about 5 or 6 fake eggs in each nest box but we have an egg eater or two so this is sort of a last resort since it does make them act more broody.

You can put dark curtains on your nest boxes so that they can't see all that great in there. Will deter curious pecking. Also make sure they have access to oyster shell, you can coat oyster flour on meal worms, on top of giving layer feed. Strong shells are harder to break and once they figure out what's inside those eggs is when it's a rewarding behavior for them and they'll continue. Also fake eggs, there are some really good ones on Amazon. I have about 5 or 6 fake eggs in each nest box but we have an egg eater or two so this is sort of a last resort since it does make them act more broody.
I have a few golf balls. Do they work?

Back
Top Bottom