How do I go about getting rid of my rooster? :(

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
My rooster, Atticus, has gotten way too aggressive. He was born in June, and started crowing late, and has now started attacking me, my Dad, the hens, and my bantam rooster. I knew he needed to leave before this but now I'm terrified he'll hurt my bantam rooster who I'd be completely devastated to lose if Atticus hurt him. I've known I needed to get rid of Atticus for a couple weeks, but I have no idea what to do. Ive made a couple small attempts to rehome him, so far, but I'm worried that he wont find a home. I don't know what to do. Help??

I'm sure there are a hundred posts already exactly like this one, but I'm not quite sure what to do since each one has a different point of view on culling. I'm not sure if there's a possible home he could go to.

My rooster, Atticus, has gotten way too aggressive. He was born in June, and started crowing late, and has now started attacking me, my Dad, the hens, and my bantam rooster. I knew he needed to leave before this but now I'm terrified he'll hurt my bantam rooster who I'd be completely devastated to lose if Atticus hurt him. I've known I needed to get rid of Atticus for a couple weeks, but I have no idea what to do. Ive made a couple small attempts to rehome him, so far, but I'm worried that he wont find a home. I don't know what to do. Help??

I'm sure there are a hundred posts already exactly like this one, but I'm not quite sure what to do since each one has a different point of view on culling. I'm not sure if there's a possible home he could go to.
Not to be cruel but 🪓🩸🥡🤌

Walk outside. Load gun. aim at bird. Squeeze trigger. Done.

OR

Walk outside. grab t post. Catch bird. Stretch neck out on ground, put one end of t post on neck where it meets head. Put foot on other end. Grab cockerel by legs , pick straight up. Keep pullin Don’t stop. Head will detach from neck completely.

Problem solved, and supper for that Nite.

Walk outside. Load gun. aim at bird. Squeeze trigger. Done.

OR

Walk outside. grab t post. Catch bird. Stretch neck out on ground, put one end of t post on neck where it meets head. Put foot on other end. Grab cockerel by legs , pick straight up. Keep pullin Don’t stop. Head will detach from neck completely.

Problem solved, and supper for that Nite.
Definitely can't do the last one. Sounds a bit bloody :(

Last case scenario my Dad does the first one for me. I could never kill my own chicken.

There is only one good solution to an aggressive rooster, and it is not to rehome him. He could do serious injury to somebody else's child. Do NOT release him somewhere, hoping nature will take care of the problem for you. That is both cowardly and cruel.

We are fortunate enough to live near some Mennonites; when I have birds that are ready to process, I take them there and they take care of it for a very reasonable fee. Is there a butcher or meat packing plant near you? If all else fails, see if your vet will put him down for you, but this will be the most expensive option.

@jus10inla 's suggestion, known as the broomstick method, is the fastest and easiest. Good luck!

Definitely can't do the last one. Sounds a bit bloody :(

Last case scenario my Dad does the first one for me. I could never kill my own chicken.
Don't pull hard enough to take the head all the way off, just enough to break the neck. The bird will flap either way, but it will still be dead.

Back
Top Bottom