How do I go about getting rid of my rooster? :(

I think we're going to put him up on Craigslist soon. So if anyone is near the northwest arkansas area and needs a rooster, look for that I guess. I can make an update when it's posted.

I mean, he's a huge rooster, so,
I guess he'd make a nice dinner. I just cant bring myself to kill and eat a chicken I love so much. Even if he attacks me, I still love him. Not sure how to feel about that.
I sent you a pm, Badger. Look at the top of the page for a little envelope with a number on it.

I would never rehome an aggressive rooster; whoever took him from you would certainly eat him. Why not you and your family have him FOR dinner instead?
You can dislocate (break) his neck with a broom. Lay a broom on the ground, put rooster's neck under the broom handle, place your feet on either side of his head *close to his head* while standing on the broom handle. Grab him by the feet and sharply pull up. This will break his neck and kill him instantly. Once his nervous system realizes that he's dead and he quits twitching, cut his head off with sharp kitchen sheers. It's okay. He's already dead. If you don't mind sacrificing the skin, you can pull the skin (feathers and all) off of the breast, thigh and drumsticks.
This processing for the dinner table takes me about 20 minutes, but I'm old and have arthritic hands.

I would never rehome an aggressive rooster; whoever took him from you would certainly eat him. Why not you and your family have him FOR dinner instead?
You can dislocate (break) his neck with a broom. Lay a broom on the ground, put rooster's neck under the broom handle, place your feet on either side of his head *close to his head* while standing on the broom handle. Grab him by the feet and sharply pull up. This will break his neck and kill him instantly. Once his nervous system realizes that he's dead and he quits twitching, cut his head off with sharp kitchen sheers. It's okay. He's already dead. If you don't mind sacrificing the skin, you can pull the skin (feathers and all) off of the breast, thigh and drumsticks.
This processing for the dinner table takes me about 20 minutes, but I'm old and have arthritic hands.
Dislocate him with a broom 😳 eewww wouldn’t be for me, kitchen sheers naaah, maybe you could put him in his place, start by doing the obvious…if my Reggie starts fronting me, he gets shoved away, picked up and carried round, he squiggles, I squeeze, it works

I can't handle the thought of eating a pet I love so much. That's what he was to me, a pet, and a really good one before his super protective rooster hormones kicked in. He'll be the only rooster in that flock, if he does live. The person we gave him to said they wanted him as a flock member. I think he has the possibility to thrive in an environment with more space to roam, more hens, etc.

The people who got him knew what they were getting. Sure, they may eat him, but I won't ever know.

Throw him up on Craigslist. If you list it as free, someone will quickly get a free meal out of him. You can put a price but the future is still unknown for him. Maybe leave a disclaimer for any potential new home.
Or like many others have already mentioned, butcher him and eat him. I'm against the idea of killing a good bird and letting them go to waste by not eating them...

Back
Top Bottom