How do I know who is top hen???

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Out of my 8 chicks, I can not tell who top hen is. There 3 older girls are dark brahma, RIR, and a EE. At first I thought it was the RIR due to her jumping/pecking on everybody in the brooder. My RIR has attacked me 3 times also when she was 10-12 weeks. I integrated my two flocks and I thought my EE took over as dominant hen. She even went to jail for a week due to excessive bullying to the others. She came back as top hen, but her attitude was much better. Now, these past two days my dark brahma is taking over. She is flapping her wings challenging the others until they back away. I saw her peck the other two older chicks. I'm assuming she's top hen? She's much nicer to the younger ones then the RIR or EE.

How can I tell which one is top hen? So many people seem to know who theirs are. I have 3 chicks that call for food, 2 that watch the sky and 1 that puts everyone to bed. They are pretty nice to each other so far and seem to live in harmony. I hope it stays that way too!

Your top hen is the one who calls them all to eat and tells them all its time for bed
smile.png
My top hen is very loud and makes sure that all the other hens know when I come out the door of the house. I bring them crumbled corn bread in the mornings so they all come running when the front door opens
smile.png
At night my top hen makes this load cackle almost sounds like a laugh and all the other hens line up and get in the coop
smile.png

The funny thing is I don't have one single hen that takes on all the duties. They share the responsibility.

My smallest (the Ancona) is my dominant hen. It's funny seeing her stand up to and challenge the larger ones - and they always back down.

Back
Top Bottom