How do I teach chicks how to eat?

Apr 15, 2021
I had a couple of chicks hatch yesterday, and they won't eat. I've been poking it, putting it on my finger and showing them it. They eat a little then back up and/or run away. They also will not drink out of the waterer, I have to help them. How do I teach them to eat???

try pecking it with your finger vigorously like hard enough to make the pieces kind of go flying a little as well as making enough sound from pecking that they hear you and get curious, once one learns they usually do a good job at teaching the others. also to teach them to drink out of the water you can either peck at it or grab them and dip their beak in the water.

Yesterday, as in what time? Chicks don't technically "need" to eat for about 48 hours after hatching because the yolk they absorbed holds them over. But if they're over 24 hours old, they should atleast be showing interest. Are the crumbles to big? My nonmedicated MannaPro chick starter crumbles was way to big and i had to mash them into smaller pieces. They were about half the size of pellets at first. They went to town then. I noticed if i dropped a few pieces in front of them from above, they showed more interest too. The quick movements really kicked up their instincts.. are you dipping their beaks in the water? If they lift their heads and swallow water, that's usually all it takes. Having to remind them is rare. If they keep refusing to drink or eat atleast by tomorrow, idk to be honest. I haven't experienced this, so I'm no help then.

Yesterday, as in what time? Chicks don't technically "need" to eat for about 48 hours after hatching because the yolk they absorbed holds them over. But if they're over 24 hours old, they should atleast be showing interest. Are the crumbles to big? My nonmedicated MannaPro chick starter crumbles was way to big and i had to mash them into smaller pieces. They were about half the size of pellets at first. They went to town then. I noticed if i dropped a few pieces in front of them from above, they showed more interest too. The quick movements really kicked up their instincts.. are you dipping their beaks in the water? If they lift their heads and swallow water, that's usually all it takes. Having to remind them is rare. If they keep refusing to drink or eat atleast by tomorrow, idk to be honest. I haven't experienced this, so I'm no help then.
One at about midnight on Wednesday, One at 2-3 AM Thursday.

Thank you all for the help! I have handed the chicks off to their new owner (she wanted me to hatch a couple of eggs for her) I appreciate this all! 🤗

I had a couple of chicks hatch yesterday, and they won't eat. I've been poking it, putting it on my finger and showing them it. They eat a little then back up and/or run away. They also will not drink out of the waterer, I have to help them. How do I teach them to eat???
Today my baby chicks are two days old and I put the food and water next to the nest and watched while step mama crooned to them and they started jumping out of nest following what she was doing. Here’s a video.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0kKK2_DJQwvjUKLZUU2huPFCw#Ramona

Back
Top Bottom