How do you encourage a hen to go clucky?

Nats Chickens

Free Ranging
Jun 20, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello, I have a serious broody and I was wondering about when it gets warmer how to encourage her broody in a certain nest so I can get her to hatch eggs? Answers will be much appreciated!

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. She's broody now? Has she been in the nest day and night for at least a few days? If you don't want her hatching now, it's best to break her broodiness. There really isn't a way to make them go broody at a certain time. It's a hormonal thing for them. If she does go broody when it's warmer, and you want her in a certain nest you can try moving her and the eggs. Sometimes it works, sometimes it breaks them. I only had one that didn't stay broody after moving them. I moved them at night.

I have a broody box for mine. I put the broody and the eggs in it but of course the female has to be broody. Usually in the spring most go broody.
IMG_3761.JPG

I have also used the broody box for quarantine.
IMG_0134.JPG

No, she is not broody now, I want to know how to make a certain nest look tempting so she goes clucky there and how to encourage her to go clucky.
Sorry for the confusion. When I read the words, "serious broody", I took it to mean you have one that's dedicated right now. That's usually what that means. How old is she? Has she ever been broody before? What breed? Is she a hatchery bird?

Some hens never go broody. It's kind of a wait and see situation. You could try putting some fake eggs, golf balls or something similar in the nest you'd like her to set in. It might be enough to convince her that it's a good place.

She is a 1 and 8 month old RIRXAustralorp, and has been broody three times already, we tried giving her 4 hatchery chicks last time but it didn't work. I would like some more colour in my flock and a roo so am waiting for her to go broody so can get some fertile eggs.

Yes, it is mid winter here and am expecting her to go broody as soon as it is a bit warmer but I want to know how to make a particular nest enticing. Last year she went broody early spring, took a month to break her, went broody again a few weeks later, ro a month and a half to break her, went broody again about a month later and took 5 wks to break her, phew!

Back
Top Bottom