How do you get water and food to your chickens? (Share your storys!)

Do you use the same kind of waterer as me?

Because I have ducks and geese, I use dish pans so that they can dunk their heads under the water. I also use 1 large plastic waterer from Tractor supply that holds 5 gallons of water. They get fresh water every day in the dish pans. I live in the country so, my water bill is never more than $20.00, so their is really no extra cost for the water. And I am out in the chicken yard every day already, there is no extra work.

Dish Pans

Waterer

I built my nipple system for less than $20.00 - I bought 10 nipples from amazon.com they were shipped by CConly.com i believe for around 10 dollars. Then bought 3 feet of 2 inch pvc a cap and a reducer to hook up the hose.. had a 55 gallon drum that my rain water runs into.. I have not had to use a hose or carry water clean buckets of anything else in the last year that I have been using nipples.. They learn real easy they see the little shiny thing sticking down and being curious they go and peck it and the rest is nipple history.. I start my chicks off with a small version in the brooder and take up the standard chick waterer up after about day three, no problems.. I have a cup from the bottom of another bottle attached to catch the drops.. No more cleaning out the waterer..

No offense taken there are many ways to get there, and each has to travel their own road.. But for our busy life all automation is utilized down to the auto poop door that I made.. So we just have to go check and collect eggs on our busy days..

Hopefully this is not offensive but read it somewhere else on BYC , but in what other situation do you get to say CHICKEN NIPPLES.

If you need some help constructing one feel free to ask.

Because I have ducks and geese, I use dish pans so that they can dunk their heads under the water. I also use 1 large plastic waterer from Tractor supply that holds 5 gallons of water. They get fresh water every day in the dish pans. I live in the country so, my water bill is never more than $20.00, so their is really no extra cost for the water. And I am out in the chicken yard every day already, there is no extra work.

Dish Pans

Waterer
That makes sense! Dish pans would be great for geese and ducks. Great job
thumbsup.gif

I built my nipple system for less than $20.00 - I bought 10 nipples from amazon.com they were shipped by CConly.com i believe for around 10 dollars. Then bought 3 feet of 2 inch pvc a cap and a reducer to hook up the hose.. had a 55 gallon drum that my rain water runs into.. I have not had to use a hose or carry water clean buckets of anything else in the last year that I have been using nipples.. They learn real easy they see the little shiny thing sticking down and being curious they go and peck it and the rest is nipple history.. I start my chicks off with a small version in the brooder and take up the standard chick waterer up after about day three, no problems.. I have a cup from the bottom of another bottle attached to catch the drops.. No more cleaning out the waterer..

No offense taken there are many ways to get there, and each has to travel their own road.. But for our busy life all automation is utilized down to the auto poop door that I made.. So we just have to go check and collect eggs on our busy days..

Hopefully this is not offensive but read it somewhere else on BYC , but in what other situation do you get to say CHICKEN NIPPLES.

If you need some help constructing one feel free to ask.

I agree, everyone has to take their own paths!
highfive.gif

Haha! I don't hate the nipple system but I just don't get it, your chickens have to learn a new way to drink for no reason. It just seems like its a waste. (I don't mean to be rude to any nipple system lovers or anything. Please don't be offended) 

I agree with you. The only reason I would ever do the nipple system is for when I get a job next year. Because I wouldn't be here to change the water as often to keep it clean.

Last edited:
I agree with you. The only reason I would ever do the nipple system is for when I get a job next year. Because I wouldn't be here to change the water as often to keep it clean.
Yeah, in that case it wouldn't be a bad idea!
big_smile.png

We use a big plant pot for the waterer refreshed every other day (sometimes I add probiotic powder to it) and they have a designated toss area for feed, organic veggie scraps etc..outside of weed patrol they get weekly :) all in their "play yard" which they get to thru their "chicken tunnel" or "chicken run" (about 4ft long) from their coop and roost/poop area) yes they are SPOILED
woot.gif

Here's my set up. Works great in the winter. Nipples are spring loaded horizontal.

PM me if interested in these nipples or buckets.

We use a big plant pot for the waterer refreshed every other day (sometimes I add probiotic powder to it) and they have a designated toss area for feed, organic veggie scraps etc..outside of weed patrol they get weekly :) all in their "play yard" which they get to thru their "chicken tunnel" or "chicken run" (about 4ft long) from their coop and roost/poop area) yes they are SPOILED
woot.gif
Awesome! I have a chicken tunnel as well.

Back
Top Bottom