How do you keep chickens water cold?

I think shade is your best bet. If you can't have natural shade put a beach umbrella over the water barrel and some shade cloth to keep the pipes in the shade.
My chickens drink water of that sort of temperature when I leave a feed bowl out and it fills with rain and then the sun shines on it - so not sure it is a big problem - but they also have water in the shade so have a choice

I live in a place where temps around 100 in summer are the norm, I don't ice their water ever. I just give them lots of water and keep it out of the sun, that is plenty good enough for them

I am looking for tips and advice on how to keep my chick's water cold. I've got 5 10-week old chicks, and I use a rain barrel water system with PVC pipe and water cups running into my chicken coop- it's a small TSC coop if that makes any difference. Right now, I've just been buying bags of ice to put into the barrel, but that lasts all of 5 minutes.
I wouldn't use ice, that could be a shock to the chicks. Your temps don't sound like a big deal to me. The only thing I do is place water in the shade when I can.

You just need enough water, not cold water. Too cold of water into a hot body can cause shock.. In the heat it is good to water the soil in their coop too, not making it muddy, but damp.

In hot weather the birds need a lot of shade. And be sure and check your shade set ups at all different times of the day. As the sun moves a shady run can become a bake house. Air movement also is important. But shade and enough water is the most important.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom