How do you prepare your poultry pals when severe weather strikes?

Our hoop house was made with two cattle panels, 2 x4 framing on the bottom, the semblance of a doorframe at each end, and a tarp over the top. It worked surprisingly well.

What I made for the chickens last year was of PVC pipe and chicken wire. I don't like the chicken wire, it rusts. It is smaller than the donkey shelter and not as tall, but the chickens aren't as tall as the donkeys, so it's alright. I will build something a little more expensive when I move. Probably.

So this is my Amazon pen after a very severe storm on Friday. We had wind gusts up to 70miles hr at times. Some of my smaller trees where sideways with the wind. Only issue I had was a two year old tarp on my main hoopcoop tore at the seams on the front.

On the hoopcoop will be building a solid roof this year on the roost end.

It's counter weighted by cinderblocks on the left corner and front right corner. Also have some 4×6s on the right side in preparation to build another pen. There is sand over the base feet up to and sometimes over the bottom bars.
1000005327.jpg

Years ago we had a cattle panel hoop house for the donkeys and sheep, like the one pictured in NagemTX post, but with wood frame at each end and two metal fence posts. It survived 80 mph wind. In 100 mph wind one of the panels bent a little, but survived more years. The curve, facing the wind, is aerodynamic. The air goes around the structure.

At the same time, we had chickens in a small wooden coop, looking similar to an outhouse, again with two metal fence posts to secure it. This structure also survived. The greenhouse did not.
Lol, I have a hoopcoop that will survive a hurricane as well. It's one I built from scratch.
The bottom is three 4x6s on each side. It's 23ft long, 10ft wide and just over about 5 1/2 foot tall in the middle. It's heavy.

I went with the Amazon ones because they where cheap and quick. They have held up much better than I thought they would. I'll be reinforcing each one with a wood shelter on the back 1/3rd and adding the treated lumber to the bottom.
1000000401.jpg

Back
Top Bottom