How do you sanitize your brooder after multiple use?

jenniferlamar70

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Northern California
Hi all, spring is here and I'm sure we will have babies soon. We use plastic bins as brooders for our chicks. They get washed with soap and water after each use but I feel like we still need to use something else to sanitize. Thinking maybe vinegar. What do you all use for your brooders?

Nothing, here. We go on the theory of, exposure builds strong immune systems. I have rolling hatches, so I'm adding chicks each week if all goes well. I usually add more bedding, only do a complete clean out once a month or so, depending on the poop load and how many chicks there are. Granted, I'm using the big livestock troughs, not bins, but the theory is the same. I do hose them out and let them set in the sun for a few days at the start of the season--solar sanitized?

If you want to sanitize, spray with cleaner of choice, or dilute bleach, rinse well.

Nothing, here. We go on the theory of, exposure builds strong immune systems. I have rolling hatches, so I'm adding chicks each week if all goes well. I usually add more bedding, only do a complete clean out once a month or so, depending on the poop load and how many chicks there are. Granted, I'm using the big livestock troughs, not bins, but the theory is the same. I do hose them out and let them set in the sun for a few days at the start of the season--solar sanitized? 

If you want to sanitize, spray with cleaner of choice, or dilute bleach, rinse well. 

Thanks. They have seen alot of use. Now been sitting for awhile. I'll definitely sun them.

I use diluted vinegar or bleach. Those are my go to's depending on what I have though if I use the vinegar I put lemon or orange peels in it too for a nicer smell. That or lavender.

Back
Top Bottom