How do you tan the hide to preserve feathers in hide? (soft hide)

I tie lots of flies and have recently preserved some neck hackles and saddle hackles by scraping all the fat I could off the skin with a flexible scraper and rubbing the skin side down with some dishwashing liquid diluted with 6 parts water. It helps to rub the soap in with a soft bristled toothbrush. Try to keep the soap off the feathers as much as possible. Rinse the skins with cold water, blot dry with paper towels and sprinkle with a liberal dose of Borax on the flesh side. I let them sit overnight with it on and in the morning I checked for damp spots. If there were any I put more Borax on the area and let it sit for a day or so. Then just brush the borax off and leave the hides to dry and cure for a few days before storing.

I raise birds for there hackles, I go to shows and what not to get some birds!
I now have fly shops and friends asking for my hackles.

Just use salt
thumbsup.gif
You will get it drier than any borax usage!! Don't be in a big hurry to wash oil off unless your going to dye them? You will be using less dry fly floatant
big_smile.png

Killing method I use is simple hold chicken by feet and hold head with other hand and stretch till you feel a pop. Be careful you can pull heads off then there is blood to deal with.

I'm using a lot of Bantams for hackle now ??

Good luck enjoy your hackle!

Jeremy, hey do you have any pictures that you could post on the thread so that I could see what you are talking about.? I am looking to work on a few different colors and I would love to see some pictures. Also when you go to shows and whhat not what is it that you are looking for for quality birds?

I have some quail that I am wanting to use the skin with feathers in tact. I know there skin is a lot thinner then chickens so I am not sure a wire wheel will work. I don't think there is much fat attached to the skin really either.

I have some quail that I am wanting to use the skin with feathers in tact. I know there skin is a lot thinner then chickens so I am not sure a wire wheel will work. I don't think there is much fat attached to the skin really either.

One of the posters above says that s/he uses a soft bristled toothbrush--if you go to a good pharmacy or something, you should be able to find toothbrushes with far softer bristles than you might at a big-box-store.

Thanks for bumping this up, I live in a major fly fishing area, and have off-and-on thought about preserving skins for feathers (mostly turkey), but never remember to research. Now I'll try on one of my naughty turkeys once the weather is nice enough.

Did you have success? I'm getting ready to help a friend slaughter a bunch of geese and ducks and want to preserve their hide/feathers for fly tying.

Back
Top Bottom