How do your chickens show affection to you?

They run to greet me, follow me around, peck at my shoes, and just sit with me and enjoy being petted. Especially Blue, I'm convinced she's just a dog in a chickens body
20231211_160845.jpg

One use to love to jump on me every time I opened the coop. Fun at first, but soon learned that she is not wanted on our shoulder. But she does follow me everywhere still. My rooster also does the same and lets me carry him. The best part is when I need to carry them I don't have to chase them.

I don't know whether to call it affection, but they do things that endear them to me, haha.

My rooster greets me, does the shuffle dance for me when I haven't been out in a while, offers me the odd leaf, allows stroking and close contact. He let's me do anything with him, his babies, and his hens without question. I take that as deep acceptance, and it means a lot to me.

The hens are sweethearts in their own way. I don't have the time to spend with them that I'd like, and they are less bold than the rooster, but something I love is when I sit or crouch with them and they gather for a preening party. It's really something to just go out, sit and wait, and here they come to chill with me. They do occasionally use beak scrapes on my clothes or shoes when they feel especially greedy for a treat, use me as a beakwipe on occasion, and one really loves feather scritches/grooming and will beg for it by scratching my boots with her feet.

I've had snugglers and close friends in a childhood flock when I had all the time to spend with them. I miss that, but am grateful for the little gestures I receive even now. They are truly special animals. Maybe in my retirement I can have all that again one day...

I have a couple of hens who enjoy being held and cuddled. They snuggle in, relax and fall asleep. One in particular snakes her neck around mine and falls asleep. She also pecks my legs if I am not paying enough attention to her. A couple really love face scritches. Sometimes if I’m cuddling/giving them scritches, they use their beaks to point out tough to reach spots so I can use my clever monkey fingers to help them preen or crack feather sheaths. Sometimes they preen me, which feels so strange. One hen jumps on my back if I’m bending down near her. One hen follows me to the back door every morning for her special secret mealyworm treat. They like following me around when I’m gardening and are always very curious about what I’m doing. They are all individuals and show their affection differently.

Back
Top Bottom