How frequently do Owl Finches sing?

Alexandra33

Chook Snuggler
9 Years
Apr 3, 2015
Northwest Ohio - The Buckeye State!
My little Owl was advertised as a male, but I've only truly heard him "sing" quietly twice in two weeks. Beyond this, his range of sounds doesn't expand much beyond meows and short meeps. Is this normal?
I'm completely in love with these two new additions to my finch family! :love:love:love

Compared to local pricing per bird in our area (anywhere from $125 to $200), I actually got a pretty good deal on them. $85 for the Gouldian, and $95 for the Owl. :celebrate
DSCN3711.JPG DSCN3698.JPG DSCN3720.JPG DSCN3614.JPG
~Alex

My little Owl was advertised as a male, but I've only truly heard him "sing" quietly twice in two weeks. Beyond this, his range of sounds doesn't expand much beyond meows and short meeps. Is this normal?
I'm completely in love with these two new additions to my finch family! :love:love:love

Compared to local pricing per bird in our area (anywhere from $125 to $200), I actually got a pretty good deal on them. $85 for the Gouldian, and $95 for the Owl. :celebrate
View attachment 1985160 View attachment 1985162 View attachment 1985151 View attachment 1985157
~Alex
Words cannot describe how jealous I am of you right now. Beautiful additions!

Words cannot describe how jealous I am of you right now. Beautiful additions!
Uh oh, Banty's here....I need a padlock for my cage. :oops:

In all seriousness, thanks! :love If you don't already have caged birds, I totally recommend it. :) Listening to my Gouldian sing as I write this is sooooo soothing. :wee

~Alex

Uh oh, Banty's here....I need a padlock for my cage. :oops:

In all seriousness, thanks! :love If you don't already have caged birds, I totally recommend it. :) Listening to my Gouldian sing as I write this is sooooo soothing. :wee

~Alex
I have had budgies for a long time and I've been in the market for finches for a while. I want Gouldians like I want to keep breathing, but alas, they've not been sold anywhere near me for quite a while. I'm thinking to settle for Zebras instead. They're pretty cute.

Last edited:
I have budgies and I've been in the market for finches for a while. I want Gouldians like I want to keep breathing, but alas, they've not been sold anywhere near me for quite a while. I'm thinking to settle for Zebras instead. They're pretty darn cute.
Awesome! I like budgies if I'm in the mood to handle my birds, but finches are infinitely more fun to watch (animated, cheerful souls) and listen to. :lol:

That's very, very sad. :hit Have you dug through all of your local pet stores, craigslist, and other online classifieds? If all else fails, Zebbies are precious. You won't be disappointed. :D I mean, look at that mischievous little face! :lau She KNEW I was trying to snap a decent picture of Hoot, and intentionally photo bombed a million times.
DSCN3193.JPG
~Alex

Awesome! I like budgies if I'm in the mood to handle my birds, but finches are infinitely much more fun to watch and listen to. :lol:

That's very, very sad. :hit Have you dug through all of your local pet stores, craigslist, and other online classifieds? If all else fails, Zebbies are precious. You won't be disappointed. :D I mean, look at that mischievous little face! :lau She KNEW I was trying to snap a decent picture of Hoot, and intentionally photo bombed a million times.
View attachment 1985173
~Alex
Repeatedly. It's harder than trying to buy a heart off the black market without getting busted by the cops. :lol:
Oh, what an adorable face! I was originally going to wait years if needed for Gouldians to show up, but the Zebras' tiny beeps absolutely captured my attention and I nearly came home with a pair right then and there. I liked the Owl finches at the store too, but I don't feel like spending that much cash on anything but the Gouldians that have been my heart's desire for well over a decade now.

Repeatedly. It's harder than trying to buy a heart off the black market without getting busted by the cops. :lol:
Oh, what an adorable face! I was originally going to wait years if needed for Gouldians to show up, but the Zebras' tiny beeps absolutely captured my attention and I nearly came home with a pair right then and there. I liked the Owl finches at the store too, but I don't feel like spending that much cash on anything but the Gouldians that have been my heart's desire for well over a decade now.
Goodness sakes, I'd hate to know what people have to go through to get their hands on a finch over there! :lau Are you required to literally pay an arm and a leg? :oops:

Yes, Zebs are affordable AND irresistible.....I'm impressed you had the self control to NOT snatch a pair up on the spot. :lol: Here, Owls are far more expensive than Gouldians. :hmm He's quickly become my favorite, though, as his personality is reminiscent of that of a Zebra, minus the aggression. :D Totally worth it. :love

Fingers crossed you find a stunning Gouldian or two or ten in the not too distant future. :fl ALL of the mutations are gorgeous, but I HAD to go with a normal Red-Headed for starters. He's a living rainbow! Who knows, a Blue or Yellow-Backed might be next.....

~Alex

Back
Top Bottom