How hard is it to let your chickens out of their coop to be in yard?

Cleaner269

Hatching
7 Years
Jul 20, 2012
I live in the city (I have a big yard not completely fenced in) I would love to let them out to feed on bugs/grass or just take a walk. I am nervous about getting them back into there home/coop. A good friend told me they will go back in but still nervous to try. Please let me know your experience and if and how you got them back in.

Hi Cleaner,

Chickens will come back, if you teach them that their coop/run is their home (you can teach them by just keeping them in their coop/run for a few days) BUT, they will only come back at night to roost, and if your garden is not completely fenced off, they might wander off, get lost, and find another home. Also, the homing ability varies with breeds, so could you tell me what breed/breeds you have, and maybe send a pic of your garden? I don't want to be wierd, i'd just like to see for myself, then i can decide for sure.

Oh also, if you associate their fave food, ei, corn, strawberries, mealworms... with a sound, like a whistle or a bang (shaking corn in a bucket every time you give them some works best) they will come running as long as they can see you are making the noise. Also, i keep my corn and feed in galvanised bins, so the chickens know the rattle of a dustbin lid means food.
big_smile.png

A few years back I had a large free range flock. They came when called because they associated me with food... I would do this high pitch chick chick chick thing and they would come running full speed out of the surrounding woods to get their treats...lol. They also came back to the coop to roost every night.... unless you had a broody hen who was squirreling away eggs in a hidden spot. I had that happen a few times.
Free range chickens/ducks/turkeys will also demolish your garden or flower beds in a heart beat trust me nothing is off limits to them. They seem to scratch and taste test everything they come across.

Fast forward to three years ago I moved to town and now I have a very small flock of hens only. But it's not the same. I can't let them free range because even clipping the wings somebody always goes over the fence. I have neighbors on either side but it's wooded in back of my yard. I bring them greens and other treats but if I give them a bug or a worm they look at me like are you insane, you want me to eat that ??

I miss the free range days, but if they go over the wrong fence they could become a snack for a neighboring dog.

I would be leery of letting the flock out if you are not fenced in and live in the city... they will roam far and wide and will visit the neighbors, that includes the neighbors pets etc... Also if they scratch up somebody's garden or flower beds they might complain and that could be an issue.

Have you thought about a portable tractor to move them to different areas of the yard ?

I have 5 hens in town...my fence is surrounding the entire back yard where they range.... I leave my door open 24/7 abd they always come home to roost...my fence has a couple board missing and is low on one spot...only 4 ft compared to 6ft and about twice a week I have a hen exploring the greener grass on the other side of my fence...they are never hard to get back into my yard but they always find a way to escape... You could have a maximum security fence all around your property...clip their wings...and trust me...they will find a way out!

A few years back I had a large free range flock. They came when called because they associated me with food... I would do this high pitch chick chick chick thing and they would come running full speed out of the surrounding woods to get their treats...lol. They also came back to the coop to roost every night.... unless you had a broody hen who was squirreling away eggs in a hidden spot. I had that happen a few times.
Free range chickens/ducks/turkeys will also demolish your garden or flower beds in a heart beat trust me nothing is off limits to them. They seem to scratch and taste test everything they come across.

Fast forward to three years ago I moved to town and now I have a very small flock of hens only. But it's not the same. I can't let them free range because even clipping the wings somebody always goes over the fence. I have neighbors on either side but it's wooded in back of my yard. I bring them greens and other treats but if I give them a bug or a worm they look at me like are you insane, you want me to eat that ??

I miss the free range days, but if they go over the wrong fence they could become a snack for a neighboring dog.

I would be leery of letting the flock out if you are not fenced in and live in the city... they will roam far and wide and will visit the neighbors, that includes the neighbors pets etc... Also if they scratch up somebody's garden or flower beds they might complain and that could be an issue.

Have you thought about a portable tractor to move them to different areas of the yard ?

I definately hear yall when you mention them gettin into your flowerbeds/gardens....my dad ALWAYS has to scare whitey out of this certain flowerbed right outside our sliding glass door LOL -- they now know what a Bright neon colored pump squirt gun looks like from Toy's R' Us LOL...it gets em movin....We have 5 acres & they have 99% of the time stayed on it, although the outer edges I really dislike them going there, but they usually don't b/c we feed alot of songbirds in our backyard so they like staying up there by the feeders or down in the azaela bushes (which is the only bushes we like them in), we tend to keep those bushes watered down to stay cool in our crazy 90-110 degree weather lately....so it'll attract em there, b/c its a safe place too.

You've gotten some great advice here. Just to add a point. Chickens are relatively easy to herd. With a long cane fishing pole you can make it even easier. Just like the calling and treats, they will soon associate the pole with heading back to the run area. My brother's Labrador caught on quickly and helps me herd the chickens we keep at that location. She will not tolerate a chicken that wanders away from the flock.

I live in the city and my chickens are let out in the yard every day at noon. I have a fenced in yard and mi e never get out. If you are worried clip one side of wings. But go for it . Well if you complete the fencing . Free ranging the girls is awesome! They follow you around and are free))))) they will go in at night, and I trained all mine to go in by shaking a pill bottle that has some beads in in. Once in the pen ,I give them a treat so they always comes in when I shake the bottle.

I would love to let mine out, and have done so a couple of times. They have a large area but are always wanting more like the acre of grass yard! I monitor them, can I really let them go about their business while I go about mine when home?

Back
Top Bottom