How is this feed?

DaveJ

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
We have 7 layers that have been laying for a couple months now.
We have had two shell-less eggs dropped from the roost over night and a few thin shelled eggs in nests.

Our local feed store was out of oyster shell so we got feed with it included.

I think we have been over doing the "treats".
They LOVE the pepper leaves from the garden, which they were getting nearly every day.
They LOVE a wheelbarrow full of worm loaded compost, which they were getting nearly every day.
They LOVE the tomato scraps and any other garden scraps I throw out, again, every day.
Also they get scratch several times a day.

Is this enough calcium?
Should we stop everything and just go with the feed for a while?
Should we supplement egg shell?

It looks like a pretty standard layer feed.

when new layers have issues like this, IMO it's more related to the fact she's new than the diet. A new layer has a fresh store of calcium built up in her bones and should be able to lay quite a while on minimal calcium supplements. I feed a grower-type feed (lower calcium) and have had birds come into lay while I've been gone an extended amount of time. My guys kept them fed, but no oyster shell. A few hens had some kinks, but everything worked out. Not how I'd like to experiment, but everyone lived
big_smile.png

That said, if you're concerned, go ahead and offer they their eggshells and/or oyster shell. It may make a difference, but I'm betting it's just a production error.

That's enough calcium. Those shell-less eggs are due to the hens laying the eggs early, before the shell is formed, usually due to disturbances around the coop at night, e.g., dogs barking, critters scratching around, people walking through the coop to check on them.

Back
Top Bottom