How long after the laying is given do they start to lay eggs?

gunny69

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
I have a variety of 8 different breeds, all large egg layers. They are 17 weeks old and I started the layer feed today. How long before they should start laying eggs? They all have been squatting for a couple of weeks now. They have been getting into their nests at night. I have one RIR that is the guard dog and checks whomever out that comes in and checks all the feed out then tells the others that it is ok. I call her "Mam", she is cute. She talks to you the whole time.

No matter what you feed them they will lay between 20 and 26 weeks (avg), some early layers 14 weeks, and many inbetween, as well as some that take 30 weeks. I waited until I was sure mine would be laying soon, before changing over to layer but yours are old enough they should be fine. Have fun waiting, seems to take forever.

You've got this a bit mixed up, my friend.

Layer feed doesnt make chickens lay. Rather it is designed to GIVE chickens, once they HAVE STARTED laying, the nutrition they need to lay eggs. In fact, if they eat layer feed exclusively when they are not laying, you can really stress out their systems with too much calcium (as they won't be usingit to make eggshells, it just builds up).

As they are seventeen weeks, some may be at point of lay. Others can take another month or two. Depends on breeds. Maybe mix in some more grower food for a while, still, so you won't overdoes them on calcium?

Good luck, and happy eggs!

I wouldn't let them get into the habit of sleeping in the nest boxes unless you want poopy eggs.

It will happen when they are ready.
wink.png

Someone told me that if I am free ranging my girls then I don't have to give them layer because they will get what they need as they range....but she also sold me 3 "D'uccles" that ended up being 1 dead chick, 1 silkie and 1 frizzle...so is what she says true?

Raz'sRoost :

Someone told me that if I am free ranging my girls then I don't have to give them layer because they will get what they need as they range....

In a word, no.

The old fashioned way to feed chickens was "free range" supplemented with table scraps and scratch feed. Most of them survived, at least for a while, but that is not to say they were their healthiest, at all. To free range as sole feed requires some careful management of the area they range, and a very large area. For most people, even commercial operations, it is more economical to buy feed.

If they have different types of vegetation and habitat available to range over, they will probably eat a lot less feed than if kept in a small pen.

I have 4 free range hens who could leave the county if they wished. They wander the lawn, adjacent weed areas, and adjacent tall woods. They do eat their layer, and like a handful of scratch in the morning, but they eat very little feed.

I have another group in a large yard which has tall weeds and grass growing. They mostly eat feed, though they scratch for bugs and eat some of the vegetation for a few hours early and late in the day. There are 10 hens; they started laying at 19 1/2 weeks; they are now 21 weeks and I am getting about 5-6 eggs/day; some have not started to lay, I believe.

The combs and wattles usually turn quite a bit redder a week or so before they lay the first egg.

I agree that you are going to want to teach them to sleep on the roost to avoid poopy eggs. Just set them up there at dusk til they get the idea.​

Wow, thanks ddawn for the input!

I do give them feed in the morning and at night but have not added layer to their diet....plan on doing it now though!

I love this site:love

Back
Top Bottom