How long can a duck survive without food?

BunnyStyles

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
hey guys, my duck charlie got attacked by my dog yesterday, she lost most of her feathers and some minor wounds, we havent been able to go to the vet yesterday or today and cant go tomorrow as its not open, she hasnt eaten anything and im worried, she has been drinking water all day but no food, please help!!

Presumably at least a week, possibly more depending on size, health, etc. But after 3-4 days I would be surprised if she didn't begin to become quite weak due to starvation.

If you can, make a very wet feed mixture for her. Put around 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup feed in a blender, along with a healthy dash of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes (gatorade if you don't have SAC on hand), and blend until the mixture seems quite smooth. When you offer it to her withdraw her plain water for an hour or two, and hopefully she will attempt to eat some of the mixture.

Last edited:
Presumably at least a week, possibly more depending on size, health, etc. But after 3-4 days I would be surprised if she didn't begin to become quite weak due to starvation.

If you can, make a very wet feed mixture for her. Put around 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup feed in a blender, along with a healthy dash of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes (gatorade if you don't have SAC on hand), and blend until the mixture seems quite smooth. When you offer it to her withdraw her plain water for an hour or two, and hopefully she will attempt to eat some of the mixture.
thank you! i got 300 dollars from my dad so im going to book an appointment with the vets and ill get the Sav-A-Chick electrolytes aswell, she has been having weetbix for a while now, but she aint accepting it or any other food im giving her, the red on her face is beginning to become orange

thank you! i got 300 dollars from my dad so im going to book an appointment with the vets and ill get the Sav-A-Chick electrolytes aswell, she has been having weetbix for a while now, but she aint accepting it or any other food im giving her, the red on her face is beginning to become orange

Discoloration is definitely a bad sign. Keep her as calm and quiet as you can - she should be somewhere with a good temperature, 70-80 F., and no bright lights. If you can get her to eat, that's great. Be sure to minimize stress in any way possible until you can get her to the vet.

Discoloration is definitely a bad sign. Keep her as calm and quiet as you can - she should be somewhere with a good temperature, 70-80 F., and no bright lights. If you can get her to eat, that's great. Be sure to minimize stress in any way possible until you can get her to the vet.
I will thank you!

What about feeding and watering her with an eye dropper
ive tried opening her mouth to give her food but she pulls her head away and starts panicking :(, i swish my finger in the water bowl next to her to get her to drink. ive tried to feed her some food but she wont accept it, ill try again soon though

Look on thread MY DUCK IS SHAKING they listed some Knowledgeable people on there who might be able to help good luck i hope she makes it

It sounds like she is in shock. Keep her in a quiet, dark, warm but not hot area. Keep offering food and keep the water down. If you can get some vitamins in the water that would be best at this point. Nutri Drench is really good or something like save a chick.
@Miss Lydia
@Amiga
@casportpony

Back
Top Bottom