How long can Mareks affect my older chickens?

roheryn

Songster
10 Years
Jul 23, 2013
Northern CA
We have sadly become a Mareks flock like so many others. No one knows where it came from (all of our chicks were day olds and said to be vaccinated) however since September 2021 we have lost 6 of our birds, starting with the youngest at 5 months. Over the past 2 years, we gradually lost birds every few months, but was hoping once they passed 1.5 years they would be safe. We lost our last Silkie Christmas Eve (necropsy said maybe Mareks, there was no internal evidence as my other birds) but it could also have been head trauma as they often have thin skulls and she was definitely on the bottom of the pecking order. I don't think the lab did a cranial check. When we submitted her, she barely moved, and was classed as "obtunded".

We now have only 3 birds left, one is just now 2 years old, the others are 4-5 years old. This week I noticed my younger one (Ayam Cemani) awkwardly landing when she jumped off the kennel to greet me. Thought maybe it was her just being excited about treats. But noticed it again the next day, then watching her, saw her off balance. That put the dread right in my bones. Could she STILL get Mareks after all this time? I immediately gave all three birds Vitamins (Rooster Booster B-12+K) in their water, and am hoping against hope that she is just vitamin deficient. We feed standard Layena, plus limited mixed grains and sometimes fruit/veggie scraps. We've never had a nutritional issue, but it has been a very very wet winter in California.

What I am seeing yesterday and today is her sometimes sitting back on her hocks, tail down, occasionally using a wing to steady herself. She is a smaller bird, but she feels light to me. She still jumps on the kennel to greet me, still eagerly enjoys the treats, and gave me an egg yesterday. She can go up the ramps to bed, but did not perch the last two nights. Just snuggles in the bedding next to the others on the perch.

Am I really still this unlucky? Am I going to lose this one too? Are the older birds safe? Is there anything I can do? I've had chickens over 10 years now, and I really hate this latest chapter in our story. I've read most of the major Mareks posts, I know some people just have Mareks flocks, or else live without birds for 18+ months and hope the virus dies... but just in case this isn't Mareks, is there something I can do for her?

Are you positive it’s Marek’s? Other things have similar symptoms.

Sadly, as long as any chickens with Marek’s are alive they will shed it in their dander and it can spread to the rest of your flock. Virkon S is effective against it for disinfecting your coop and I suggest you do so at least once a year. I switch between that and activated oxine.

We have not had a positive case of Mareks since October 2022, so I was hoping that the rest of the birds would be clear. I understand that they can be carriers, so no one can leave our flock. I'll get some Virkon and oxide and disinfect everywhere (set reminders to do it at least once/year going forward)

But if its not Mareks, what could be going on? She seems lively enough, just lays down more than usual, and a bit off balance. Not like the previous birds with Mareks... they were really lame and could barely move. She also makes noises that are sort of like a combination of soft clucks and purring. Her friends stay by her, and she is eating and still laying eggs.

We have not had a positive case of Mareks since October 2022, so I was hoping that the rest of the birds would be clear. I understand that they can be carriers, so no one can leave our flock. I'll get some Virkon and oxide and disinfect everywhere (set reminders to do it at least once/year going forward)

But if its not Mareks, what could be going on? She seems lively enough, just lays down more than usual, and a bit off balance. Not like the previous birds with Mareks... they were really lame and could barely move. She also makes noises that are sort of like a combination of soft clucks and purring. Her friends stay by her, and she is eating and still laying eggs.
It could be any number of things, many other diseases have similar symptoms and each bird reacts to them to a greater or lesser degree. I would try testing, check out Research Associates Lab. This tool may help you decide what to test for http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

We had her euthanized and will have her tested. She was completely paralyzed, but didn’t have the scissor leg look. Just couldn’t use either leg, or even sit without assistance. We did vitamin supplements for 10 days as she continued to deteriorate. She was still alert and bright at the end, but very quiet, and barely eating or drinking. I’ll report her results here. 😞

The lab reported this:
"Postmortem findings suggest that this chicken’s cause of death was a lymphoproliferative disease, most likely Marek’s disease. The nature and severity of the gross lesion (brain, sciatic nerve, heart, liver) is sufficient to stand as the cause of illness/death of this bird."

Sadly, we continue our journey with this stupid disease :(

The lab reported this:
"Postmortem findings suggest that this chicken’s cause of death was a lymphoproliferative disease, most likely Marek’s disease. The nature and severity of the gross lesion (brain, sciatic nerve, heart, liver) is sufficient to stand as the cause of illness/death of this bird."

Sadly, we continue our journey with this stupid disease :(
Sorry your stuck dealing with this disease.
I'm glad you came back and updated your thread with the results.

As was already mentioned, even if you don't lose a bird for a year, once you have the Marek's disease in your flock, you have until all birds die...and then some. You can wait until all birds die then treat you chicken area with Virkon.

What some people choose to do is only add Marek's vaccinated chicks.

Strangely, all my chicks were vaccinated, but somehow it still got in and destroyed my flock. I'm thinking of finding some Egyptian Fayoumi as it was mentioned they are more immune. My worry is bringing in new chicks (vaccinated) if they will just die like the others. We only have 2 hens now, and that is really not enough.

Thought I might try Virkon now even though the live birds are shedding dander. Maybe help to reduce the viral load... can't hurt I guess

Back
Top Bottom