How long can my baby quail stay in incubator?

snailquail

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2020
Hello! Almost all of my quail have hatched, but the first to hatch was last night around midnight. It is currently around 10 PM, so 2 hours until it has been 24 hours and it has not been removed from the incubator to the brooder. There are still little ones hatching, and some wet chicks. How long can I leave this little quail in with its friends? I dropped down a small amount of damp food but of course, I'm not so sure they know how to eat it! I do not want to risk opening the incubator and harming the other chicks if I can avoid it. Would it be okay to wait until tomorrow when the wet little friends will be dry and others will have hopefully hatched to transfer to brooder? Or is that too dangerous?

Yeah I would move the hatched ones to the brooder. The ones that look the most fluffiest.and another good indicator is I found the ones that you can see pecking. I move mine into the brooder on the first day they hatch or if hatch at night I move them in the morning. But I find that the ones that are fluffy and are pecking looking for food. I move. I give mine a game bird starter 28% protein. I coffee grind the crumble up abit finer. I have a Brinsea heat pad in my brooder. Depends what Quail are they. Are they Jap Cortinoux quails

Yeah I would move the hatched ones to the brooder. The ones that look the most fluffiest.and another good indicator is I found the ones that you can see pecking. I move mine into the brooder on the first day they hatch or if hatch at night I move them in the morning. But I find that the ones that are fluffy and are pecking looking for food. I move. I give mine a game bird starter 28% protein. I coffee grind the crumble up abit finer. I have a Brinsea heat pad in my brooder. Depends what Quail are they. Are they Jap Cortinoux quails
Yes they are coturnix! I moved about 3 of the earliest hatchers to the brooder and will be moving the rest in the morning i hope! I'm using the brinsea heat plate! Hoping they get throught the night well!! they were very into eating for a moment but i worry that since i didnt dip their beaks they wont know how to drink their water. I guess we will see :) thank you

Yes they are coturnix! I moved about 3 of the earliest hatchers to the brooder and will be moving the rest in the morning i hope! I'm using the brinsea heat plate! Hoping they get throught the night well!! they were very into eating for a moment but i worry that since i didnt dip their beaks they wont know how to drink their water. I guess we will see :) thank you
I usually put the food and water in pasta jar lids just outside the lip of the heat plate, they don’t even need to leave the heat to reach, they can just poke their head out if they want to, Ive never dipped chicks beaks in water, they always find it fine. Make sure you put rocks in the water so they can’t drown.

just don't mind opening the incubator to move the hatched chicks to the brooder..as long as the humidity an d temperature levels went back on within a few mins hatching chicks or pipped ones can survive..so as soon as they are a bit dry move them to the brooder..they need to breathe the freshes air though

Quail are cool and tiny little guys I used the same method with watering a lid with washed rocks for years . now I have a quail waterer that screws on a jar . You don't want them getting wet or they will be history.

Back
Top Bottom