How long do feathers take to regrow?

Oct 2, 2021
Sorry, if this is the wrong section...
My sons "best" (in his eyes) pullet has lost her tail feathers, we noticed a good couple of weeks ago.
Yesterday he caught her and looked under the only tail feather that's remaining and there is actually new feathers coming through, they are a good 3cm out of the keratin case? already, not yet visible though... but he is nervous as coz show season is literally 3 weeks away... is there Anything we can do to speed up feather growth? She is already on grass full time and has unlimited access to laucke mill showbird breeder MP feed (17% protein, 3% fat)
Is there any chance or none at all?

Nutrena sells Feather Fixer that people swear by. I do not think anything can make tail feathers grow back in three weeks though. I just up the protein a bit for the molting hens and was pondering buying that.

Nutrena sells Feather Fixer that people swear by. I do not think anything can make tail feathers grow back in three weeks though. I just up the protein a bit for the molting hens and was pondering buying that.
Yea... I'm crossing everything for him lol but I know it's pretty unlikely.
I did look at feather fixer just now but for the sake of 1% more of protein I don't think it's worth it for us 🙂
We don't like changing feed this close to show season
Doesn't look like it's easy to get over here (Aus) either
Thanks for the suggestion though.

Last edited:
17% is not very high protein for feather quality. I find my birds have the best looking (shiny, smooth) feathers when they're getting 20% or more. Up to 24% which I did by mixing in some gamebird grower 30% to their regular feed.

Besides the point though, because 3 weeks just isn't enough time. Maybe 6 weeks though, if there's any make-up shows later in the season (I've never showed chickens so what do I know, but most animal shows have a schedule like that).

Thanks for this 😄
We checked her again today that are close to being seen so we can always hope lol
Show season runs may to August so she will make it to 1 or 2... hopefully before state
Add more protien. The place I got my Phoenix from used to feed sardines to their males a few weeks before shows to make the feathers nicer.

Back
Top Bottom