How long do they try to snuggle under Mom?

Amethyste

For Love of Boo...
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Silverlake/Mill Creek, WA
Reason I was asking is that the girls are 8 weeks old now and growing fast! They are HUGE! Three nights ago I locked them up late, so I got to see them all roosting
love.gif

Poor Momma Esther tho... she was sitting there on her roost, with her wings spread wide, snuggling <well trying to
roll.png
> 5 1/2 grown chicks, and the 2 buffs were ON HER BACK like they were itty bitty babies lol
roll.png
Her wings were extended almost full length trying to cuddle her overgrown babies
lau.gif

I felt so sorry for her...it cant have been comfy lol But I have been in there checking late at night since then and every night the same... I'll have to try to get a pic of them all.

Shouldnt she be starting to wean them or something? LOL Or will I have grown up laying chickies one day that will still think they are a day old?
jumpy.gif

Never had to deal with chicks raised by mum before so this is all new to me!

Last edited:
Ah yes... well, soon she'll start giving them a good hard peck on the head and they'll learn to not try anything. It was hilarious to see our smallish Australorp, Olympia, being covered in chicks each easily 2/3 of her size. She weaned them quickly though, now they avoid her like the plague.
lol.png

I really want to see that pic!
big_smile.png

I think when the mama gets tired of it, she'll let them know. My friend has a bantam hen who hatched 3 rir eggs. She continued to try to sit on the chicks a long time. Kind of cute.

Here's a pic, for cute viewing.

The rooster and the mama bantam with her 3 rir chicks who are following her around but the same size as her.

http://beautifulchickens.blogspot.com/search/label/James Juliet and RIR

Back
Top Bottom